Re: [74attendees] [75attendees] IETF74 T-Shirt Art Donated to IETF Trust

Dave CROCKER <dhc@dcrocker.net> Sat, 01 August 2009 07:23 UTC

Date: Sat, 01 Aug 2009 09:22:57 +0200
From: Dave CROCKER <dhc@dcrocker.net>
To: Fred Baker <fred@cisco.com>
Cc: ietf@ietf.org, 74attendees@ietf.org, 75attendees@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [74attendees] [75attendees] IETF74 T-Shirt Art Donated to IETF Trust

Fred Baker wrote:
> On Jul 31, 2009, at 9:40 PM, James M. Polk wrote:
>> this is a choice between "how can the IETF get money?"
>
> That is something the Trust would have to think about. What we had been
> considering was literally licensing a t-shirt company to print the
> designs and enabling IETFers to order them.

With regard to the concern about losing the sense of special uniqueness, at
having gotten an original memento *at the event*, the history of the Unix
license plate might be helpful.

The first time the Unix meeting was large (400 people?) was in Santa Monica and
the DEC point of contact got up to do his usual presentation, saying first he
wanted to comment on the constant request that DEC provide Unix licenses.  (Bell
provided the licenses, since it was their software, and DEC just sold bare
hardware; so folks wanted one-stop shopping.)

Armando said that he was finally able to say that DEC could offer a Unix
license.  He then bent down and held up a license plate that sayd "Unix" on it,
purporting to be from Vermont ("live free or die").

This was, of course, a huge success.  So DEC's marketing folks wanted to do it
again and, I am told, the DEC Unix group said they would not permit this, that
it had been a one-time special.

The compromise was that the license plate was in fact produced again, but in a
different color.

This idea of making the follow-on version have key differences from the
original, without losing the essence, might help here.

d/
--

   Dave Crocker
   Brandenburg InternetWorking