[76attendees] thanks to the organizers and the city of Hiroshima

Rodney Van Meter <rdv@sfc.wide.ad.jp> Thu, 12 November 2009 21:59 UTC

From: Rodney Van Meter <rdv@sfc.wide.ad.jp>
To: 76attendees@ietf.org
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2009 07:00:14 +0900
Subject: [76attendees] thanks to the organizers and the city of Hiroshima

I'm a member of the WIDE Project, but I get none of the credit for
making IETF such a success.  I stand in awe especially of the NOC
team: Profs. Kato, Osamu Nakamura, and Shigechika from Keio, Prof.
Maeda from Hiroshima, Ray Atarashi from IIJ, and a long list of
students (including qoo, kudo, and tomine).  Some of them prefer to
work in the background, but their work stands out.

The city also went amazingly far out of its way.  The "Welcome IETF"
signs on the streetcar platforms, the party, the PASPY, and especially
the city lights that made wandering the streets in the evening so
pleasant.  I didn't try the bikes, and had no need of the translator
service (except possibly from Hiroshima dialect to Kanto dialect :-),
but those seemed to be wins, as well.

The gang from e-side (Scott and Pres. Arai, and others whose names I
don't recall) certainly made it all work.

And Jun Murai is, of course, The Man.  ("What kind of sycophant are
you?"  "What kind would you like?" to quote a movie.)

For those of you who missed the social, my new hero:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tadatoshi_Akiba
I've followed his peace work for years, but had no idea he has a Ph.D.
in math from MIT and taught in the U.S. for more than fifteen years.

Hope to see you in Anaheim!

		--Rod

P.S. Do try to walk over to the dome and museum, if you haven't yet.
It's close, it's important, it's moving, it's sobering.  It is,
however, not fun.