[76attendees] RFID Bug Report

Marshall Eubanks <tme@americafree.tv> Mon, 09 November 2009 17:33 UTC

From: Marshall Eubanks <tme@americafree.tv>
To: 76attendees@ietf.org
Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 12:33:58 -0500
Subject: [76attendees] RFID Bug Report

I have noticed an RFID bug in 3 out of 3 rooms (Fecframe, L3VPN,
MBONED) I sat in on Monday. I am reporting it here in case other
people have this issue.

This has nothing to do with the "bluesheet reader," but the reader for
the current speaker.

There was a speaker reader at 3 locations in each room - at the
chair's table, at the front mike, at
the rear mike.

In each case, at the beginning of the session, the display would show
the actual speaker just fine.

If (when) someone swiped their card at the front mike speaker reader
to ask a question or make a point, it would "capture" the speaker. The
actual speaker at the chair's table could not reset the speaker
displayed on the screen after that. In at least two cases, we tried a
number of people's cards and I tried the "wipe" card at the front
desk, all to no avail.

Apparently, the only way to clear this is to use the wipe card at the
front mike speaker reader. (A new card at the front mike would replace
the displayed speaker, but not free the station.)

This seemed fairly repeatable for the front mike station (most times,
if not all times), and was an annoyance.

In one case, a speaker at the rear mike could not clear the displayed
either with their card; the rear mike station was not tested as much
so I am not sure if this was repeatable.

Regards
Marshall

P.S. Is there an RFID bug mailing list ? If so, I will send this there
once I find out about it.