Re: [76attendees] A Net Neutrality comment

Fred Baker <fred@cisco.com> Mon, 09 November 2009 00:32 UTC

From: Fred Baker <fred@cisco.com>
To: Richard Barnes <richard.barnes@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2009 09:32:27 +0900
Cc: 76attendees@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [76attendees] A Net Neutrality comment

On Nov 9, 2009, at 9:21 AM, Richard Barnes wrote:

> Thanks for this little study.  Note that this doesn't necessarily
> argue for *application* throttling, as much as for *user* throttling.

violent agreement, and specifically I would argue *against*
application throttling. It also is an argument for proper network
configuration, which may also be relevant here.

I invite attention to ftp://ftpeng.cisco.com/fred/RTT/index.html, and
more specifically ftp://ftpeng.cisco.com/fred/RTT/Pages/5.html and its
related study. I was in a hotel in Dublin last January and did a
similar study. In this case, I measured the behavior of a DSL network
that I think was configured with effectively infinite buffer and no
allowance for loss. The spikes are interesting. I don't have hard data
(the tcpdump trace) to make this assertion, but I suspect I wound up
with as many as nine copies of the same datagram in queue, driving
very high congestion when it was unwarranted. Had the network been
configured with a reasonable buffer depth - 30 ms, 100 ms, whatever -
and loss after that, goodput would have been improved. The problem
was, I surmise, that TCP was driving to the cliff, and THERE WAS NO
CLIFF.