Re: [76attendees] RFID

Aaron Falk <falk@bbn.com> Tue, 10 November 2009 04:37 UTC

Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 13:37:55 +0900
From: Aaron Falk <falk@bbn.com>
To: Fred Baker <fred@cisco.com>
Cc: 76attendees@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [76attendees] RFID

I think this is a net-plus.  It is great seeing the names for speakers &
questioners on the screen.

I have a UI request.  If someone asks a question and swipes their RFID
during a preso the presenters name gets pushed off and forces the them
to re-swipe to refresh.  I can think of a few ways to fix this but all
are probably overly complicated (e.g., a control screen for session
chairs, semantics associated with certain readers, etc).  There's
probably a much simpler way to handle this that someone else can come up
with.

Regarding privacy, since everyone seems to be commenting on it, I have
no concerns so long as use of the readers is 'requested but not
required'.  I.e., we should log our presence in wg sessions but we don't
police it.  The is my perception of the current policy and I don't see
why RFID technology should change that.  I also would resist using these
tags for any sort of 'access control' such as terminal room access or,
heaven forbid, cookie quotas.

--aaron