Re: [78attendees] We'll meet again...

Geert Jan de Groot <GeertJan.deGroot@xs4all.nl> Sat, 07 August 2010 11:38 UTC

To: "78attendees@ietf.org" <78attendees@ietf.org>
From: Geert Jan de Groot <GeertJan.deGroot@xs4all.nl>
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 2010 13:38:51 +0200
Subject: Re: [78attendees] We'll meet again...

On Fri, 6 Aug 2010 13:18:51 -0700 (PDT) Ole Jacobsen wrote:
> We were somewhat mis-informed about the availability of restaurants
> and other facilities within walking distance of the MECC. Future site
> visit will take this into account and claims will be verified :-)

Having seen the attendance at various restaurants and bars in the evening
I think most travellers did work out the transport system in Maastricht,
as the city was really crowded by IETF folk, whereever one looked ;-)

The requirement to have lunch-restaurants on walking distance, strongly
biases towards environments where "walk-out for lunch" is common,
and that's not common everywhere. The ability to cater ~1000+ folk
quickly during a short lunch break is a cultural thing and
certainly uncommon in some other parts of the world.
I know of complete industrial environments, with many different companies,
employing tens of thousands of people, with not even a sandwich bar
anywhere near any of these facilities.

I agree the caterer failed big time on monday (partially because
of the credit card thing really) but didn't see huge queues during
the rest of the week.

I'm sure other venues will have other drawbacks, wherever we go.
We can't make the attendees list quiet, can we?

Geert Jan