Re: [84attendees] passport cards and such, was YVR Checkin Counter

Bede McCall <bede@mitre.org> Tue, 14 August 2012 19:49 UTC

Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 15:48:52 -0400
From: Bede McCall <bede@mitre.org>
To: 84attendees@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [84attendees] passport cards and such, was YVR Checkin Counter

You can use a US Passport Card instead of your passport book at all
sea/land crossings between the US and either Canada or Mexico (for
either inbound or outbound travel).   I forget what the card costs, but
the basic story is that if you have a passport, for a fee you can get a
passport card.  The card fits in your wallet, which is the use case that
led to controversy when it first came out -- it has an embedded RFID
chip that can be read at a fair distance, so State was compelled to
issue a RF shielding  jacket with each card.  I've used my card at
ground-level Canadian border crossings several times without a hitch,
and have on occasion used it as ID (once due to a misplaced driver's
license) for TSA.

To the very limited extent that I understand the situation with US
Customs & Immigration, Global Entry simply gets you through inbound US
customs/immigration via the kiosk instead of the booths at international
airports -- you still need a passport book (but NOT the card) for the
kiosk.  It doesn't cover driving, sailing or train crossings, for which
either a Passport Card or book is OK.  I believe NEXUS works for any
type of inbound (and apparently outbound) travel to(/from) Canada.  Some
ground-level border crossings reportedly have dedicated drive-through
lanes for NEXUS and SENTRI.  I suspect that one idea lurking behind the
GE card is that you could use it as an ID card and possibly as a backup
for TSA's PreCheck.  The thing about PreCheck is that it's supposed to
be based on an encoding printed on the boarding pass;  my instincts say
there will be quite a few TSA shirts out there who will insist on seeing
the GE card regardless.

Much of the confusion that results from the welter of cards stems from
the fact that there are multiple government agencies involved, each with
a different mission/policy base and few of which communicate with each
other in meaningful ways.  On the US side, State (Passport and Passport
Card) doesn't have much to say to DHS (GE, PreCheck, ...) and within DHS
the multiple agencies (e.g., TSA, CBP, ICE) don't have a strong history
of cooperation.  The nascent TSA PreCheck program is a glimmer of hope,
if only because TSA is basing PreCheck enrollment on the existing CBP
Global Entry program rather than competing with CBP.

--Bede McCall