Re: [86attendees] Good prepaid SIM cards for Europe?

"Black, David" <david.black@emc.com> Mon, 18 March 2013 04:20 UTC

From: "Black, David" <david.black@emc.com>
To: Ted Lemon <mellon@fugue.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 00:20:01 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "<86attendees@ietf.org>" <86attendees@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [86attendees] Good prepaid SIM cards for Europe?

> In France it's _really_ easy to get a SIM card, but the phone company
> procedures for operating them are so arcane that even if you speak enough
> French to understand the prompts, you will still probably fail to get them
> working.   It took me quite a long time to figure out that you can buy refills
> at newsstands and don't need a French bank account to add credit.   :)

Maybe that depends on whose SIM card.  For the Paris IETF, I had no problem
acquiring a Lyca SIM card at the local Tabac (newsstand) because I needed
some GSM voice minutes, and I seem to recall that activation was via web site.
On that front, Google translate is your friend - I even managed to activate
a T-Mobile CZ SIM for IETF Prague via the web site and translating all the
questions from Czech to English ...

OTOH, I do speak a moderate amount of French, which makes dealing with France
a *lot* easier.

Thanks,
--David