Re: [86attendees] Good prepaid SIM cards for Europe?

"Scheffenegger, Richard" <rs@netapp.com> Mon, 18 March 2013 12:06 UTC

From: "Scheffenegger, Richard" <rs@netapp.com>
To: "Eggert, Lars" <lars@netapp.com>, Philip Matthews <philip_matthews@magma.ca>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2013 12:06:44 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.106.53.53]
Cc: "<86attendees@ietf.org>" <86attendees@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [86attendees] Good prepaid SIM cards for Europe?

For my (regular) data needs in Germany (als also passive SMS reception abroad), I have a pre-paid Vodaphone SIM; At the time, 24hrs/1GB for 3,95 EUR was the best and least expensive plan I could find. Also, recharging can be done multiple way (anonymous using cards from a supermarket, or via credit card, or one can upgrade and register a (german?) bank account.

As Lars mentioned, that SIM also works in other countries, just not that cheaply...

But it's still lower cost than my regular, home-country, fully paid subscription contract as company policy excludes data roaming (and voice roaming is quite expensive with the corporate plan we subscribed here).

OTOH - Apparently as a  T-Home/T-Mobile user one can have free T-Mobile Hotspot access across Germany, and it appears that they don't check for concurrent access in multiple locations/devices. At least when I tried this with the colleagues account, while he was surfing in another hotel, we both had access...

So, if you have a german colleague with a T-Home/T-Mobile account, that might be the least cost option for data roaming (hotspots should be pretty dense).

Finally, I believe that Berlin has a city-wide public, open WiFi zone; but that might easily overloaded with a few IETF participants :)

Best regards,

Richard Scheffenegger