Re: [87attendees] SIM purchase at the IETF (was Re: [87all] IETF 87 Berlin Meeting Review)

Randy Bush <randy@psg.com> Sat, 17 August 2013 02:11 UTC

Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2013 11:11:32 +0900
From: Randy Bush <randy@psg.com>
To: Ted Lemon <Ted.Lemon@nominum.com>
Cc: 87 Attendees <87attendees@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [87attendees] SIM purchase at the IETF (was Re: [87all] IETF 87 Berlin Meeting Review)

> I hunted for days for a SIM card in Maastricht, and wound up buying
> several before I found one that actually worked.  If IETF had offered
> SIM cards, I would not have had to waste time on this.

indeed, when getting your badge, the secretariat could have given you a
sim card that did not work.  i have a stash with which they could start
their collection.  please do not tempt someone such as joel to dump on
us about sims, phones, bands, ...

and, in my small experience, the states and canada are among the
toughest and most expensive locales.

> The thing that would help me the most would be for ISOC to scout out a
> few really good places for newcomers to get SIM cards, and post
> directions to the wiki.

i doubt isoc, iaoc, iab, ... are the best sources for this.  the locals
and frequent visitors are.  and they usually do so on the meeting wiki.
if the 88 wiki was up we could put in the clues some folk have already
given to a number of local shops in van.

i suspect the phone/phone's-country/locking/carrier/bands/... vs local
products compatibility chart is a major research issue, and one that i
would not want to suggest anyone explore.  my small experience is that,
if my phone is unlocked, the clerk at the local shop, newstand, or
airport shop (more expensive) will know best, and you will be able to
test right there after asking them to 'activate' the sim.

and, in many countries, be sure to have your passport with you.  the
state likes to link the sim (and imei) to your identity so they and nsa
can be sure the world is safe.  "the enemy has always been eastasia."

randy, ressurecting the nsa troll line

--

terror bomb wiretap spying
8.1.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.6.0.0.8.8.1.4.0.1.0.0.2.ip6.arpa