[88all] IETF88 Vancouver Network Information

Jim Martin <jrmii@isc.org> Sat, 02 November 2013 19:52 UTC

From: Jim Martin <jrmii@isc.org>
Date: Sat, 02 Nov 2013 12:52:04 -0700
To: 88all@ietf.org
Subject: [88all] IETF88 Vancouver Network Information

	As Jari mentioned, the IETF 88 Network in the Vancouver Grand Hyatt is up! I've attached the network information sheet below, and I want to call out a significant change. We've switched from the address blocks that had been loaned to us by Interop and APNIC to the blocks we've been officially assigned, so don't be surprised if you're being assigned an unfamiliar address. Many thanks to Kurtis Lindqvist for all his help in getting us this address space!

	If you have any issues, please send trouble reports to tickets@meeting.ietf.org or come see the help desk in Tennyson on the 4th floor.

	- Jim

IETF 88 Network Information - Vancouver, B.C. Canada

== Terminal Room ==

The Terminal Room is located in Tennyson / Dover and is open 24 hours a day beginning Sunday, 03 November, 2013 at 16:00 and ending on Friday, 08 November, 2013 at 15:00. A help desk is being provided, hours are listed below.  The room itself consists of approximately 100 seats, providing some wired access and 110v power ports. There is also a HP Officejet Pro 8600 (HP994A15) printer available. Please note that this terminal room has, in fact, no terminals, PCs or other user-accessible machines. It is simply a place to get power, wired Internet access, help desk support, or print documents.

When using the Ethernet connections in the Terminal Room, IPv4 addressing is provided via DHCP. Please use Dynamic Auto-configuration for IPv6. A stateless DHCPv6 server will provide network information.  To cut down on the mess, ethernet cables have not been installed to every seat in the Terminal Room. If you need a cable, please ask at the Help Desk.

Please note that at the request of the IETF Chair, demonstrations are no longer permitted in the Terminal Room.

=== Help Desk ===
A help desk is being provided and will be manned the following hours:

|| Sunday || 16:00 to 19:00 ||
|| Monday ||  8:00 to 20:00 ||
|| Tuesday ||  8:00 to 20:00 ||
|| Wednesday ||  8:00 to 20:00 ||
|| Thursday ||  8:00 to 20:00 ||
|| Friday ||  8:00 to 15:00 ||

== NOC and Ticketing ==

There are several ways to communicate with the NOC staff.
1. Submit a new trouble ticket via the [http://tickets.meeting.ietf.org/newticket "trac web"] interface. Filling in the following fields: "My MAC Address", "My Current Location", and "My OS" may expedite ticket processing. If you have an existing account on http://tools.ietf.org you can use your established credentials (email address and tools password) to [http://tickets.meeting.ietf.org/login "log in"].
2. Send an email to '''`tickets@meeting.ietf.org`''' with as much detail regarding your issue and configuration as possible.
3. If you're on site and need direct network assistance (i.e - you have no network) please go to the helpdesk, which is located in the Terminal Room.
4. Use the Jabber room at noc @ jabber.ietf.org to report issues or communicate with the NOC.

You can also use trac to review outstanding tickets before reporting an issue or to update outstanding tickets.

== Network Basics ==

=== External Connectivity ===

The IETF 88 network connects to the Internet via two 1Gb/s links, provided by Telus. The IETF address allocation is 31.133.128.0/18 and 31.130.224.0/20 for IPv4 and 2001:67c:1230::/46 and 2001:67c:370::/48 for IPv6. IPv6 is native and is supported. We are supplying bandwidth for the conference space, public spaces, in-room wireless and wired connections at the Hyatt.

== Meeting Room Wireless ==

An 802.11 a/g/n wireless network is being provided liberally throughout the venue on both 2.4 and 5 Ghz.

To use the meeting room wireless network, associate with the beaconed SSID of "ietf" for 802.11a/g/n and "ietf-a" for 802.11a/n.  IPv4 addressing is provided via DHCP.  IPv6 clients should use Dynamic Auto-configuration, and may use DHCPv6 to retrieve name server information.

For those interested in more link-layer security, WPA SSIDs with 802.1X is available.  The SSIDs are "ietf.1x" and "ietf-a.1x". Do not use WPA-PSK as that will not work.  Also, using TLS as an eap method is not advisable, please prefer TTLS or PEAP.

To use 802.1X:
1. Associate to SSID: ietf.1x OR ietf-a.1x
2. Use TTLS or PEAP/MSCHAPv2
3. Do Not Verify Server Cert and we won't verify yours :)
4. Username (case sensitive): ietf
5. Password (case sensitive): ietf

If you have an eduroam account, we support authenticating via eduroam.  Simply select the "eduroam" SSID.  Use your eduroam credentials.

For a pure-IPv6 environment, use the ietf-v6ONLY ssid.

The proper operation of the wireless network requires the assistance of all users.  One of the most significant issues with wireless performance in past IETF meetings has been wireless clients automatically, or accidentally initiating "ad-hoc" networks that act as the official IETF wireless network, causing other users to associate with false IETF wireless networks.  Therefore, please disable your client's ability to create an ad-hoc network and as well as the ability to automatically join an ad-hoc network.

Public spaces like the lobby and the bar that are covered by the hotel's wireless infrastructure require using the SSID "Hyatt_Vancouver". Their access points are on the same IP network, but won't be broadcasting our SSIDs.

== Hyatt Guest Room Access ==

The IETF Network is being extended to the guest rooms in the Intercontinental.  Guest room network access is available via wired and wireless (SSID "Hyatt_Vancouver").  Both IPv4 and IPv6 are deployed.

Note that while we are using the IETF meeting network for Internet connectivity, we are using the Hotel's wireless infrastructure for the delivery to the guest rooms and lobby, so there are limits to the improvements we can effect.  We recommend using the wired connection whenever possible in your guest room.

== Printing ==

There is a printer in the Terminal Room and is available to all IETF users. The printer is an HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus and is accessible via LPD, Bonjour, standard TCP/IP on port 9100.  The hostname for it is term-printer.meeting.ietf.org.  It is possible to print from email.  For the email address, see the physical label on the printer.

|| Name || Model || Capabilities || IPv4 Address|| IPv6 Address || Notes || Drivers ||
||term-printer.meeting.ietf.org || HP Officejet Pro 8600 Plus || Inkjet w/Duplexer || 31.133.128.18 || 2001:67C:370:128:DA9D:67FF:FEDF:8F44 || Bonjour name: // term-printer // || [http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/COL40127/mp-97860-2/OJ8600_Basic_x86_619.exe (32-bit Windows)] [http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/COL40129/mp-97864-2/OJ8600_Basic_x64_619.exe (64-bit Windows)] [http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/COL40131/mp-97865-2/Officejet-Pro-8600-series_v12.14.0.dmg (Mac OS X)]// ||

=== Instructions for Mac OS X using Bonjour auto-setup (DNS-Based Service Discovery) ===
1. Open System Preferences -> Print & Fax -> "+" below printer list
2. Choose "Default" in the top-menu.
3. You should see the printers discovered by Bonjour. Pick the right one.
4. Enjoy hassle-free printing.

=== Instructions for Mac OS X using manual configuration ===
1. Open System Preferences -> Print & Fax -> "+" below printer list
2. Select the "IP" icon at the top of window
3. Select the "HP Jetdirect - Socket" from the drop down
4. Enter "term-printer.meeting.ietf.org" in the Address field.  Leave the Queue field blank.
5. ''Print Using'' should autopopulate
6. Click Add

=== Instructions for Windows 7===
1. If you haven't printed on the selected printer before, download and install the driver using one of the links above.
2. When you come to the installer page asking you to choose the "Network Type" -- choose "Wired (Ethernet)."
3. If you get the "Unable to Find the Printer" page, simply enter the IP address of the printer {31.133.128.18} in the box in the bottom-right corner and click "Search."
4. Ignore the "The Printer and Computer are Connected to Different Routers" message and select "Next."
5. The driver will finish it's installation and you *should* see a "Successful Network Installation" message.
6. The fax feature is *NOT* enabled, so you may cancel the fax installation portion.
7. Registering the printer is not necessary.
8. You're printer is now ready to use, and you can find it by going to ''Start -> Devices and Printers''. No need to print a test page.

=== Instructions for Windows using HP printing framework ===
1. Download HP Universal Print Driver for Windows from /// [http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DriverDownload.jsp?prodNameId=4323647&lang=en&cc=us&taskId=135&prodSeriesId=4322915&prodTypeId=18972 HP Support] ///
2. Select "Dynamic installation" and wait until all drivers are copied (takes about 5-10 minutes)
3. Add printers by using their IP addresses in "control panel" appearing when select Start -> Settings -> Printers & faxes -> "HP Universal Printing PS" -> Properties

=== HP Eprint for Android devices
1. Find the printer's email address on a label pasted to the printer.
2. Email the document to that address.
3. Retrieve your print out from the Terminal Room

== Services ==

The following network services are provided:

|| Service || Address || Notes ||
|| SMTP || smtp.meeting.ietf.org || Will provide SMTP relay for anything within the IETF network ||
|| NTP || ntp.meeting.ietf.org || A stratum 2 time service is provided via IPv4 and IPv6 unicast ||
|| DNS || ns1.meeting.ietf.org ns2.meeting.ietf.org || Validating recursive resolvers. The domain name is meeting.ietf.org. ||

These services are being provided from both of the following servers:
31.130.229.6 (IPv4) or 2001:67c:370:229::6/64 (IPv6)
31.130.229.7 (IPv4) or 2001:67c:370:229::7/64 (IPv6)

== Thanks ==
The terminal room and IETF network are made possible by the generous contributions by a number of companies and by the tireless efforts of our volunteer team. If you see any of these people in the halls, please be sure to thank them for all their work!

Contributors:
Juniper Networks
Cisco

Connectivity:
Telus

Volunteers:
Bill Jensen (University of Wisconsin - Madison)
Bill Fenner (Arista)
Bjoern A. Zeeb (Cambridge University)
Chris Elliott
Jim Martin (Internet Systems Consortium)
Joel Jaeggli (Zynga)
Karen O'Donoghue (ISOC)
Lucy Lynch (ISOC)
Warren Kumari (Google)