[91all] Guest room and Public Space IETF Connectivity at the Hilton Hawaiian Village

Jim Martin <jrmii@isc.org> Fri, 07 November 2014 23:53 UTC

From: Jim Martin <jrmii@isc.org>
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2014 13:52:50 -1000
To: 91all@ietf.org
Subject: [91all] Guest room and Public Space IETF Connectivity at the Hilton Hawaiian Village

All,
	Welcome to IETF 91 in Honolulu! Starting this afternoon, the IETF network will be deployed around the Hilton Hawaiian Village in the public areas, as well as the guest rooms.

Public Space
------------------
	The IETF network will be available in all of the public spaces around the Hawaiian Village, including all the restaurants, bars and pool areas. There are two separate open SSIDs, both carrying the usual IETF IPv4 and IPv6 networks:

	ietf-public: Both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. This may reach further, but the 2.4Ghz spectrum is quite congested.
	ietf-public-a: 5Ghz only. Strongly preferable if your device can see it!

	These are all using the pre-existing public space wireless equipment that Hilton has deployed, so the coverage isn’t something the IETF NOC can control. However, please let us know if you have coverage issues, we’ll work with the Hilton to see if we can address the issue.

Guest Rooms
-------------------
	The IETF is providing access to our own networks in the guest rooms of the Hilton Hawaiian Village. Unfortunately, this does not include the Hilton Time-Share properties that flank the main hotel property.

	Wired:
		In all of the towers other than Ali’i, the IETF network is being delivered on the second ethernet port of the DSL unit located behind the desk. When you checked in, the wired cable on your desk is patched into the first ethernet port. If you’d like to use the IETF network, move the cable from port one to port two. The unit looks like this:

		Please return the cable to the original position before you leave; after the IETF, the port will return to being inactive.

		If you are located in the Ali’i Tower, you likely have a normal ethernet jack, while a few have the DSL as above. If you have the DSL, please use port two. If you have traditional ethernet and if you’ve booked your room as part of the IETF block, you should automatically be switched to the IETF network. If this doesn’t seem to be the case, please contact Patrick Guerin of Hilton IT at PGuerin@HGVC.com <mailto:PGuerin@HGVC.com> to request that your room be switched to the IETF network.

	Wireless:

		In the guest room areas you should find the “ietf-hotel” SSID. This network is 2.4Ghz only, and is being delivered via the same DSL infrastructure as the wired connections. We encourage heavy users and/or those having poor coverage to use the wired connection as above.

Support
	If you have trouble using any of the Public or Guest Room services, please try to switch to the hotel SSIDs or the hotel wired port.  If that doesn’t work, please contact the Hilton support as listed in your room. Note that the IETF NOC isn’t trying to get out of work here … the simple truth is that in both the public and guestroom areas, we’re utilizing the existing infrastructure, and thus have limited ability to effect a change. HOWEVER, if things are working fine on the hotel offerings but not on the IETF SSIDs/ports, please do contact us in the Terminal Room (South Pacific I) or via tickets@meeting.ietf.org <mailto:tickets@meeting.ietf.org>  and we’ll be glad to help!

	- Jim & the IETF NOC Team