Re: [93attendees] Network experiment during the meeting

"McDonald, Alex" <Alex.Mcdonald@netapp.com> Tue, 14 July 2015 15:34 UTC

From: "McDonald, Alex" <Alex.Mcdonald@netapp.com>
To: Rolf Winter <rolf.winter@hs-augsburg.de>, "93attendees@ietf.org" <93attendees@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2015 15:33:30 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.122.56.79]
Subject: Re: [93attendees] Network experiment during the meeting

I am not a lawyer, but I have done some research in this area.

Please be aware that (a) the Czech Republic is in the EU (b) according to EU law you are collecting personal identifiable data.

Therefore (from http://ec.europa.eu/justice/data-protection/data-collection/legal/index_en.htm)

---->>
Under the Data Protection Directive, collecting and processing the personal data of individuals is only legitimate in one of the following circumstances laid down by Article 7 of the Directive:

    Where the individual concerned, (the 'data subject'), has unambiguously given his or her consent, after being adequately informed; or
    if data processing is needed for a contract, for example, for billing, a job application or a loan request; or
    if processing is required by a legal obligation; or
    if processing is necessary in order to protect the vital interest of the data subject, for example, processing of medical data of a victim of a car accident; or
    if processing is necessary to perform tasks of public interests or tasks carried out by government, tax authorities, the police or other public bodies; or
    if the data controller or a third party has a legitimate interest in doing so, as long as this interest does not affect the interests of the data subject, or infringe on his or her fundamental rights, in particular the right to privacy. This provision establishes the need to strike a reasonable balance between the data controllers' business interests and the privacy of data subjects.
<<----

The last clause is the only clause under which you can collect and process this data. To that end; http://ec.europa.eu/justice/data-protection/data-collection/obligations/index_en.htm

---->>
Obligations of data controllers

The Data Protection Directive requires data controllers to observe a number of principles when they process personal data. These principles not only protect the rights of those about whom the data is collected ("data subjects") but also reflect good business practices that contribute to reliable and efficient data processingEach data controller must respect the following rules as set out in the Directive:

    Personal Data must be processed legally and fairly;
    It must be collected for explicit and legitimate purposes and used accordingly;
    It must be adequate, relevant and not excessive in relation to the purposes for which it is collected and/or further processed;
    It must be accurate, and updated where necessary;
    Data controllers must ensure that data subjects can rectify, remove or block incorrect data about themselves;
    Data that identifies individuals (personal data) must not be kept any longer than strictly necessary;
    Data controllers must protect personal data against accidental or unlawful destruction, loss, alteration and disclosure, particularly when processing involves data transmission over networks. They shall implement the appropriate security measures;
    These protection measures must ensure a level of protection appropriate to the data.
<<----

If you feel you can meet these criteria, then you may want to make sure that you understand how to register as a data controller in the Czech Republic; https://www.uoou.cz/en/vismo/zobraz_dok.asp?id_org=200156&id_ktg=1159

There's a shorter version of this email available here http://images.huffingtonpost.com/2014-09-26-keepcalmanddontdoit2.png

Alex McDonald
Standards & Industry Associations Group
CTO Office