Re: [93attendees] Network experiment during the meeting

"DRAGE, Keith (Keith)" <keith.drage@alcatel-lucent.com> Wed, 15 July 2015 12:08 UTC

From: "DRAGE, Keith (Keith)" <keith.drage@alcatel-lucent.com>
To: "Eric Vyncke (evyncke)" <evyncke@cisco.com>, "93attendees@ietf.org" <93attendees@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2015 12:07:44 +0000
x-originating-ip: [135.239.27.40]
Cc: Rolf Winter <rolf.winter@hs-augsburg.de>
Subject: Re: [93attendees] Network experiment during the meeting

I think you will find the fact that anyone can collect the data is irrelevant.

And neither is it directly a security or privacy issue.

It is the responsibility of the organisation or person doing the data collection to ensure they comply with the requirements of data protection. These include the right of individuals affected to ensure the data collected is accurate, and also that it is not transferred outside the EU to a regime that does not have equivalent safeguards.

If this was a UK environment, that could also require registration with the data registrar, unless exemptions apply. No idea what the Czech implementation of the relevant directive is.

But fundamentally, is any of the information you are collecting, before or after subsequent processing, something that could be regarded as personal data? If the answer is no, then data protection will not apply; if the answer is yes, then just telling people you are doing it is certainly not a sufficient assessment of your responsibilities.

I assume by the way that the IETF secretariat has done a similar assessment of its responsibilities for any personal data it collects while it is in the EU?

regards

Keith