[96all] IETF 96 Network Information – Berlin, Germany

Jim Martin <jim@daedelus.com> Sun, 17 July 2016 09:20 UTC

From: Jim Martin <jim@daedelus.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2016 11:20:26 +0200
To: 96all@ietf.org
Subject: [96all] IETF 96 Network Information – Berlin, Germany

Gentlepeople,

	This is a rough text extraction of the canonical Network Information page at https://tickets.meeting.ietf.org/wiki/IETF96network - Please check that out, as it’s clickable and gets updated!

	There are two particular things to note beyond the usual network information: the Intercontinental guest room Internet details and the addition of user experience probes.

	As we do at all IETF Headquarters Hotels, we’ve deployed the IETF network to the guest rooms using the existing hotel infrastructure here in the Intercontinental. Usually we deliver this via the ietf-hotel wireless SSID and the wired connection in the rooms. Unfortunately, the Intercontinental has made the choice to remove all guest room wired ethernet connections. Hence, we’re not supplying the IETF network this way. If you do happen to have a working wired connection in your guest room, which is unlikely, it will be on the traditional Intercontinental network.

	Additionally, as we started experimenting with in Buenos Aires, we’ve strategically deployed a number of user experience probes throughout the meeting space, both from NetBeez and v6Sonar. The probes are designed to gather throughput data "as if" they were users. They run various processes including pings, http requests, traceroutes, and DNS queries. They collect no data about other users, personal or otherwise. If you see these, please don’t disturb them as they’re doing important work to help us monitor and improve the network experience here at IETF96.

	Have a good meeting and let us know (at tickets@meeting.ietf.org) if you have any questions or issues with the network!

	- Jim

= IETF 96 Network Information – Berlin, Germany =

== Terminal Room ==

The Terminal Room is located in Kopenick 1 & 2, which is in the long hall to the right past the breakfast cafe. The Terminal Room is open 24 hours each day beginning Sunday, 17 July, 2016 at 16:00 and ending on Friday, 22 July, 2016 at 15:00. A help desk is provided and the hours are listed below.  The room itself consists of approximately 75 seats, providing some wired access and 220v universal power ports. There is also an HP Officejet Pro 8620 printer available.

Please note that this terminal room has no terminals, PCs, or other user-accessible machines. It is simply a place to get power, Internet access, help desk support, print documents, and/or work quietly.

When using the Ethernet connections in the Terminal Room, IPv4 addressing is provided via DHCP. Please use Dynamic Auto-configuration for IPv6. A stateless DHCPv6 server or RDNSS will provide network information. To cut down on the mess, ethernet cables have not been installed to every seat in the Terminal Room. If you need a cable, please ask at the Help Desk.

Please note that at the request of the IETF Chair, demonstrations are no longer permitted in the Terminal Room.

== Help Desk ==
A help desk is being provided and will be staffed the following hours:

|| Sunday        || 16:00 to 19:00 ||
|| Monday       ||  8:00 to 20:00 ||
|| Tuesday      ||  8:00 to 20:00 ||
|| Wednesday ||  8:00 to 20:00 ||
|| Thursday     ||  8:00 to 20:00 ||
|| Friday          ||  8:00 to 15:00 ||

== NOC and Ticketing ==

There are several ways to communicate with the NOC staff.
 * Submit a new trouble ticket via the [http://tickets.meeting.ietf.org/newticket "trac web"] interface. Filling in the following fields: "My MAC Address", "My Current Location", and "My OS" expedite ticket processing. If you have an existing account on http://tools.ietf.org you can use your established credentials (email address and tools password) to [http://tickets.meeting.ietf.org/login "log in"].
 * Send an email to '''`tickets @ meeting.ietf.org`''' with as much detail regarding your issue and configuration as possible.
 * If you're on site and need direct network assistance (i.e - you have no network) please go to the Help Desk, which is located in the Terminal Room.
 * Use the Jabber room at noc @ jabber.ietf.org to report issues or communicate with the NOC.

You can also use trac to review outstanding tickets before reporting an issue or to update outstanding tickets.

== External Connectivity ==

The IETF 96 network connects to the Internet via two 1Gb/s uplinks from DTAG, and a 1Gb/s link from the local IX, ECIX, over which Strato and Hurricane Electric have provided transit. The IETF uses 31.133.128.0/18, 31.130.224.0/20 and 130.129.0.0/16 for IPv4 and 2001:67c:1230::/46, 2001:67c:370::/48 and 2001:df8::/32 for IPv6. We are supplying bandwidth for the conference space, as well as wireless connections in the guest rooms via the ietf-hotel SSID.

== Meeting Room Wireless ==

An 802.11 a/g/n/ac wireless network is provided throughout the venue on both the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands, in conjunction with IPv4 and IPv6 addressing options.

''The main “ietf” wireless network is encrypted; make sure you enter ietf for both the username and password.''

Here’s a quick summary of the network layout:

|| SSID             || Description                                                           || Encrypted || Frequencies   || IP Versions ||
|| ietf                 || Our default network                                             || yes            || 5Ghz only       || v4 and v6 ||
|| ietf-legacy     || For legacy and unencrypted use                         || no              || 2.4 and 5Ghz || v4 and v6 ||
|| ietf-2.4ONLY || An encrypted network for 2.4Ghz users              || yes            || 2.4Ghz only    || v4 and v6 ||
|| ietf-v6ONLY || For users wanting a pure IPv6                              || yes            || 5Ghz only       || v6 only ||
|| ietf-nat64     || IPv6 stack with NAT64 to access IPv4 resources || yes            || 5Ghz only       || v6 with NAT64 & DNS64 ||
|| eduroam      || educational users                                                  || yes            || 2.4 and 5Ghz || v4 and v6 ||

All networks marked as encrypted will offer layer 2 security. This is done using WPA2 enterprise with 802.1X (PEAP or TTLS) authentication and AES encryption. As usual, we are all using the same credentials (user “ietf”, password “ietf”), yet each user will get unique session encryption keys. Our 802.1x authentication servers use a certificate that you can install by going to this page: [https://802.1x-config.org/?idp=137&profile=60] or alternatively, check them yourself here: [https://tickets.meeting.ietf.org/wiki/CertCheck]

== Guest Room and Public Space Access ==

The IETF Network is being extended to the guest rooms and public spaces in the !InterContinental via the “ietf-hotel” SSID.  This network is 2.4GHz and 5GHz and delivered via the hotel's Meraki access points.

**Note** If you have performance issues with this network, please let us know. Please note though, that while we are using the IETF meeting network for Internet connectivity, we are using the hotel's infrastructure for delivery to the guest rooms and public space, so there are limits to the improvements we can effect.

**Note** also  that the !InterContinental is currently and actively decommissioning the wired connections in the guest rooms, so they may not be found, and if found, they may not work. The IETF meeting network has  ''not''  been connected to those few remaining guest room wired ports and consequently we aren't providing technical support for the guest room ''wired'' connections.

== Support ==

If you have trouble using the hotel's SSID ("!InterContinental"), please contact the !InterContinental's support as listed in your room. If things are working fine on the hotel'a SSID but not on ''ietf-hotel'', please contact us in the Terminal Room (Kopenick) or via tickets @ meeting.ietf.org  and we’ll be glad to help!

=== A Note For Windows Users ===

Connecting to the IETF SSID on Windows XP/7 requires a few extra, non-intuitive steps. If you're struggling to get connected to an encrypted SSID on your Windows laptop, please come by the Help Desk. Alternatively, you can try yourself; Instructions are here >> https://tickets.meeting.ietf.org/attachment/wiki/WindowsInformation/IETF%20Wifi%20Instructions%20Windows.pdf

== Printing ==

There is a printer in the Terminal Room and is available to all IETF users. The printer is an HP Officejet Pro 8620 and is accessible via LPD, Bonjour, standard TCP/IP on port 9100.  The hostname for it is term-printer.meeting.ietf.org.

|| Name || Model || Capabilities || IPv4 Address|| IPv6 Address || Notes || Drivers ||
||term-printer.meeting.ietf.org || HP Officejet Pro 8620 || Inkjet w/Duplexer || 31.133.128.18 || 2001:67C:370:128:FE3F:DBFF:FE6C:8116 || Bonjour name: // term-printer // || [http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Officejet-Pro-8620-e-All-in-One-Printer-series/5367611/drivers Printer Drivers] ||

=== Instructions for Mac OS X using Bonjour auto-setup (DNS-Based Service Discovery) ===
(Note that this method is not available if you have configured an explicit DNS search list. Please see below for [https://tickets.meeting.ietf.org/wiki/IETF91network#InstructionsforMacOSXusingmanualconfiguration the manual configuration instructions].
 1. Open System Preferences -> Print & Fax -> "+" below printer list
 2. Choose "Default" in the top-menu.
 3. You should see the printers discovered by Bonjour. Pick the right one.
 4. Enjoy hassle-free printing.

=== Instructions for Mac OS X using manual configuration ===
 1. Open System Preferences -> Print & Fax -> "+" below printer list
 2. Select the "IP" icon at the top of window
 3. Select the "HP Jetdirect - Socket" from the drop down
 4. Enter "term-printer.meeting.ietf.org" in the Address field.  Leave the Queue field blank.
 5. ''Print Using'' should autopopulate
 6. Click Add

=== Instructions for Windows 7===
 1. If you haven't printed on the selected printer before, you may need to download and install the driver using one of the links above.
 2. When you come to the installer page asking you to choose the "Network Type" -- choose "Wired (Ethernet)."
 3. If you get the "Unable to Find the Printer" page, simply enter the IP address of the printer {31.133.128.18} in the box in the bottom-right corner and click "Search."
 4. Ignore the "The Printer and Computer are Connected to Different Routers" message and select "Next."
 5. The driver will finish it's installation and you *should* see a "Successful Network Installation" message.
 6. The fax feature is *NOT* enabled, so you may cancel the fax installation portion.
 7. Registering the printer is not necessary.
 8. You're printer is now ready to use, and you can find it by going to ''Start -> Devices and Printers''. No need to print a test page.

=== Instructions for Windows using HP printing framework ===
 1. Download HP Universal Print Driver for Windows (see above)
 2. Select "Dynamic installation" and wait until all drivers are copied (takes about 5-10 minutes)
 3. Add printers by using their IP addresses in "control panel" appearing when select Start -> Settings -> Printers & faxes -> "HP Universal Printing PS" -> Properties

=== HP Eprint
1. Find the printer's email address on a label pasted to the printer.
2. Email the document to that address.
3. Retrieve your print out from the Terminal Room

=== Scanning Services ===
1. In a browser (Firefox appears to be the only browser that renders the pages properly) go to: http://term-printer.meeting.ietf.org/
2. Select the "Scan" tab located at the top of the page.
3. Select Document Type "PDF" in the drop-down menu
4. Place pages to be scanned face-up in the page feeder on top of the printer.
5. Press "Start Scan" on the web page.
6. Once the Scan has completed a window to the right will display the PDF contents of the scan.
7. Using the scroll bar in the Image Preview - Scroll to the right and select the "Download" button

== Services ==

The following network services are provided:

|| Service || Address || Notes ||
|| SMTP || smtp.meeting.ietf.org || Will provide SMTP relay for anything within the IETF network ||
|| NTP || ntp.meeting.ietf.org || A stratum 2 time service is provided via IPv4 and IPv6 unicast ||
|| DNS || ns1.meeting.ietf.org ns2.meeting.ietf.org || Validating recursive resolvers. The domain name is meeting.ietf.org. ||

These services are being provided from both of the following servers:[[br]]
31.130.229.6 / [2001:67c:370:229::6]
or
31.130.229.7 / [2001:67c:370:229::7]

== Geolocation ==
There is a geolocation feed published here: [http://noc.ietf.org/geo/google.csv]
Geolocation service for temporary networks is often hit or miss. Suggestions/assistance is welcomed.
You can also try searching via www.google.com/ncr (no country re-direct).

== Thanks ==
The terminal room and IETF network are made possible by the generous contributions by a number of companies and by the tireless efforts of our volunteer team. If you see any of these people in the halls, please be sure to thank them for all their work!

Contributors:
* Juniper Networks
* Cisco
* Netbeez
* A10
* Open Systems Consultants

Connectivity:
* DTAG
* ECIX
* Strato Networks
* Hurricane Electric

Volunteers:
* Hirochika Asai (The University of Tokyo/WIDE)
* Randy Bush (IIJ)
* Joe Clarke (Cisco)
* Colin Doyle (Right! Systems Inc)
* Bill Fenner (Arista)
* Joel Jaeggli (Fastly)
* Bill Jensen (University of Wisconsin–Madison)
* Hans Kuhn (NSRC)
* Warren Kumari (Google)
* Lucy Lynch (NSRC)
* Jim Martin (INOC)