Re: [AAA-DOCTORS] [Technical Errata Reported] RFC7683 (5277)

<lionel.morand@orange.com> Mon, 19 March 2018 05:22 UTC

From: lionel.morand@orange.com
To: Jouni <jouni.nospam@gmail.com>, Benoit Claise <bclaise@cisco.com>
CC: "john.zhao" <yuankui.zhao@gmail.com>, "aaa-doctors@ietf.org" <aaa-doctors@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2018 05:22:22 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.168.234.2]
Subject: Re: [AAA-DOCTORS] [Technical Errata Reported] RFC7683 (5277)

Hi Jouni,

Please see below.

[ML] The NOTE is there because the value (0) is not reserved for future use or anything else. This value cannot be sent at all and it is the clarification given in the NOTE (which is only for information).
And obviously, a word is missing in the NOTE. It should be:

       Note: The value of zero (0) BECAUSE any DOIC node supports at least the
                     Loss algorithm. Therefore, the OC-Feature-Vector AVP
                     cannot be sent with no bit set.

> The new added table is OK.. but not necessarily needed. What I think really
> would be useful is the change to Section 9.2. (new IANA registries) that was
> proposed during the initial discussion of the errata but not in the reported
> errata. That changed the “value” to “ assigned bit”, which in my opinion
> makes the use of the assignment very clear.

[ML] change to Section 9.2 is covered in errata report ID 5278, copied hereafter:

Section: 9.2

Original Text
-------------
9.2.  New Registries

   Two new registries have been created in the "AVP Specific Values"
   sub-registry under the "Authentication, Authorization, and Accounting
   (AAA) Parameters" registry.

   A new "OC-Feature-Vector AVP Values (code 622)" registry has been
   created.  This registry contains the following:

      Feature Vector Value Name

      Feature Vector Value

      Specification defining the new value

   See Section 7.2 for the initial Feature Vector Value in the registry.
   This specification defines the value.  New values can be added to the
   registry using the Specification Required policy [RFC5226].

   A new "OC-Report-Type AVP Values (code 626)" registry has been
   created.  This registry contains the following:

      Report Type Value Name

      Report Type Value

      Specification defining the new value

   See Section 7.6 for the initial assignment in the registry.  New
   types can be added using the Specification Required policy [RFC5226].

Corrected Text
--------------
9.2.  New Registries

   Two new registries have been created in the "AVP Specific Values"
   sub-registry under the "Authentication, Authorization, and Accounting
   (AAA) Parameters" registry.

   A new "OC-Feature-Vector AVP Values (code 622)" registry has been
   created.  This registry contains the following:

      Assigned Bit

      Feature Name

      Specification defining the new capability

   See Section 7.2 for the initial assigned bit in the registry.
   This specification defines the capbility announced by the setting of
   this bit.  New values can be added to the registry using the
   Specification Required policy [RFC5226].

   A new "OC-Report-Type AVP Values (code 626)" registry has been
   created.  This registry contains the following:

      Report Type Value Name

      Report Type Value

      Specification defining the new value

   See Section 7.6 for the initial assignment in the registry.  New
   types can be added using the Specification Required policy [RFC5226].

Notes
-----
This errata report is linked to the following errata report: Errata ID: 5277 The IANA registry created for the OC-Feature-Vector AVP Values (code 622) should only describe the use of the bit assigned to a given feature. There is no AVP value assigned to a given feature. The associated IANA registry should provide a table describing the setting of the bit assigned to a given feature/capability.

Regards,

Lionel