Re: Comments on draft-ietf-mimesgml-related-04.txt

Ed Levinson <elevinso@accurate.com> Fri, 17 November 1995 17:54 UTC

Date: Fri, 17 Nov 1995 10:54:46 -0500
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Ed Levinson <elevinso@accurate.com>
To: "Dr. Mark K. Joseph" <izzy@aac.twg.com>
Cc: ietf-822@list.cren.net
Subject: Re: Comments on draft-ietf-mimesgml-related-04.txt

Mark,

>From the previous discussion on this list there didn't seem to be
a wide desire to support composite media types.  For me, any discrete
type can be a Multipart/Related "type" but it only makes sense if there
is something to be done for the entire multipart based on that type.
I don't know what a Mul/Rel; type="image/gif" would represent but
HTML and SGML are two arenas where Multipart/Related fits.
The MUA, of course, should not need to understand the "type", only
where to hand the MIME body parts.

The draft is neutral (really silent ;-) on the "type" issue.  What
application (and behaviour) would make use of the types you
suggest?

The paragraph you cite, which is the only change outside of dropping
the change log, was left out in error and was pointed to by the change
log.  It only applies to the start parameter.  In that context do you
see something more to be said?

Best.../Ed