Re: [abfab] Barry Leiba's No Objection on draft-ietf-abfab-aaa-saml-13: (with COMMENT)

Alejandro Pérez Méndez <alex@um.es> Mon, 11 January 2016 08:45 UTC

To: Barry Leiba <barryleiba@computer.org>, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
From: Alejandro Pérez Méndez <alex@um.es>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2016 09:45:05 +0100
Cc: abfab@ietf.org, abfab-chairs@ietf.org, draft-ietf-abfab-aaa-saml@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [abfab] Barry Leiba's No Objection on draft-ietf-abfab-aaa-saml-13: (with COMMENT)

Hi Barry,

thanks for your comments. See my responses inline, please.

El 07/01/16 a las 02:46, Barry Leiba escribió:
> Barry Leiba has entered the following ballot position for
> draft-ietf-abfab-aaa-saml-13: No Objection

> introductory paragraph, however.)

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-abfab-aaa-saml/

> COMMENT:
>
> Because abfab-arch defines the terms "Client", "Relying Party", and
> "Identity Provider", I think abfab-arch should be a normative reference.

As per the discussion you had with Sam, I see your point and I'm not
against it.
On the other hand, I think that the terms "Client", "Relaying Party",
and "Identity Provider" are common enough to don't require readers to go
to the reference to understand them, specially when the document already
contains a terminlogy table that matches these terms with their SAML and
RADIUS correspondences.

> -- Section 3 --
>
>     The RADIUS SAML binding defined in Section 4 of this document uses
>     two attributes to convey SAML assertions and protocol messages
>     respectively [OASIS.saml-core-2.0-os]
>
> Nit: "respectively" is out of place here, and should be removed.  You
> would only use "respectively" if you named the two attributes ("...uses
> two attributes, SAML-Assertion and SAML-Protocol, to convey SAML
> assertions and protocol messages, respectively.").

Right, thanks. Probably the result of an edit to remove the attribute
names from that paragraph.

> -- Section 7.3.5 --
>
>     If issued by the Identity Provider, the Relying Party MUST process
>     the <samlp:Response> message and any enclosed assertion elements as
>     described in [OASIS.saml-core-2.0-os]
>
> "If issued" is dangling, and  makes it look like the Relying Party is
> issued by the Identity Provider.
>
> NEW
>     If a <samlp:Response> message is issued by the Identity Provider,
>     the Relying Party MUST process that message and any enclosed
>     assertion elements as described in [OASIS.saml-core-2.0-os]
> END

Thanks, the text you've provided sounds much more clear. I will include it.

Best regards,
Alejandro