Re: [Ace] WGLC comments draft-ietf-ace-coap-est-07

Jim Schaad <ietf@augustcellars.com> Tue, 15 January 2019 18:10 UTC

From: Jim Schaad <ietf@augustcellars.com>
To: 'Michael Richardson' <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>
CC: draft-ietf-ace-coap-est@ietf.org, ace@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2019 10:10:39 -0800
Subject: Re: [Ace] WGLC comments draft-ietf-ace-coap-est-07

The question I was asking was more about the original enrollment rather than
renewal although it could come into question there as well.

- I have the implicit trust anchors and get a EST server URL.
- Call /cacerts
- I now have the explicit trust anchors but potentially have the same EST
server URL.
- Given that I have a NEW trust anchor, what do I do with the current DTLS
session?
- I now do an enrollment with the EST server to get a certificate.

One can say it is fine to use the implicit TA for that enrollment, but one
could also say that as the certificate chain is now different then the DTLS
session should be released and a new one established.

Jim