[Ace] ace-oscoap-joining comments

peter van der Stok <stokcons@xs4all.nl> Thu, 19 April 2018 09:37 UTC

Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2018 11:36:55 +0200
From: peter van der Stok <stokcons@xs4all.nl>
To: ace@ietf.org
Subject: [Ace] ace-oscoap-joining comments

Hi authors,

Below comments on the draft-tiloca-ace-oscoap-joining-03.
The draft seems to be pretty clear, but then, I did not try to implement
it.

Comments on details, typos, structure, and questions are mixed together
in reading sequence.

title: I expect draft-tiloca-ace-oscore-joining (oscoap is in the past)

page 3 section 1. dtls-authorize and oscore-profile are mentioned quite
prominently here, but almost not used elsewhere in the draft (section
6), and only informative. suggest to remove here.

section 1.1 The phrase "message exchanges .... useful terminology" may
go for me. (mentioned in authz and others already).
Is reference to oAuth 2.0 not sufficient, ace-actors is not really
needed IMO.

I miss Group Manager in the terminology. here relation with RS can be
mentioned, not needed in section 2.

Section 2 bullet 3 is quite complex text:
Suggestion:
The Authorization Server (AS) authorizes joining nodes to join ....
The AS MAY release access tokens for other purposes than accessing join
resources; for example: to release......
of OSCORE groups

Page 5
Is paragraph "All communication ...... ACE Framework [authz]" not almost
identical to
"communications between ..... this specification". If not, reformulation
is clearly needed.

page 5 point 1. suggestion for last phrase: With the response from the
AS, the joining node starts or continues a secure channel with the Group
Manager.
point 2 Collapse phrase 2 and 3 to: "Then, a joining node must establish
....first time".  May be add a reference to DTLS or other recommended
alternatives?

point 4 in the OSCORE group -> with the OSCORE group members.

Suggest a point 5 to say that the secure channel is maintained for
between JN and GM

Section 3 is about JN to AS but mentions secure channel between JN and
GM. That is confusing, because I expect text about secure channel
between JN and AS.
I suggest to remove the discovery with the aid of resource-directory, or
add more text and specify a resource-type rt=) for the AS.

section 3.1 under scope parameter first *: I failed to find the
"dynamic" component of the scope parameter in [key-groupcomm]

get-pub-keys. I wonder why you want to separate the public key storage
from the GM. What is the operational advantage?; I only see added
complexity.

section 3.2 "The AS is responsible.....Group Manager" I don't understand
this phrase.

The "exp" parameter; it MUST be present and then is out of scope?

The phrase "in case the value......include the "scope" parameter" is
difficult to read.
I suggest: The AS must include the "scope" parameter in the response,
when the returned value of the response differs from the one in the
request. (or anything shorter)

section 4 page 7
/what specified/ what is specified/

section 4.2 page 8
/yields to a positive/yields a positive/

section 5
Again why separate key storage

first bullet: IMO, it does not hurt to provide the public key, when
already known; specifying conditions in the protocol  increases the
probability of errors. (Others may have different opinions given the
need of payload reduction)

page 11
"Before sending the join response .... this specification" suggest to
move this phrase to section 6.

section 6. I suggest to add the reference to oscore-groupcomm when
referring to the (sections) or (appendix).

Hope this helps,

Peter
--
Peter van der Stok