Re: [Ace] Embedded Content Types

Jim Schaad <ietf@augustcellars.com> Thu, 21 February 2019 00:39 UTC

From: Jim Schaad <ietf@augustcellars.com>
To: "'Panos Kampanakis (pkampana)'" <pkampana@cisco.com>, ace@ietf.org, 'Klaus Hartke' <hartke@projectcool.de>
CC: draft-ietf-ace-coap-est@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2019 16:39:43 -0800
Subject: Re: [Ace] Embedded Content Types

Additionally, this
> deviates from the logic of the EST protocol which we are trying to profile
on.
> We are adding new APIs to the protocol.

[JLS]  I don't understand what you are saying here.  If you defined
/est/sgkA and /est/sgkB and said that the multipart content returned for
each of this is a fixed content type, then the client is going to send a
message to one of them in a consistent manner and both the key and the
certificate would be returned in a single response.

The question of the key being encrypted is controlled by an attribute in the
CSR and thus there is no outside negotiation needed for that aspect.  The
only difference in content is the use of PKCS#7 vs bare certificate.

Jim

> Because of these challenges, I would like to use option c in the ETS-coaps
> draft. It is not violating RFC7252 and it does not affect the long term
plan
> (option b) either. There are only to content types we are talking about in
EST-