[Ace] Robert Wilton's Discuss on draft-ietf-ace-aif-06: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Robert Wilton via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Mon, 07 March 2022 16:46 UTC

From: Robert Wilton via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-ace-aif@ietf.org, ace-chairs@ietf.org, ace@ietf.org, loganaden@gmail.com, loganaden@gmail.com
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2022 08:46:38 -0800
Subject: [Ace] Robert Wilton's Discuss on draft-ietf-ace-aif-06: (with DISCUSS and COMMENT)

Robert Wilton has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-ace-aif-06: Discuss

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ace-aif/

DISCUSS:

Hopefully an easy one to fix or clarify:

   *  The set of numbers is converted into a single number REST-method-
      set by taking each number to the power of two and computing the
      inclusive OR of the binary representations of all the power
      values.

I just wanted to check that this is expressed the right way round?  I read
"taking each number to power of two" as meaning taking the square of each
method number.  Whereas, I would have assumed that what you mean is "two to the
power of each method number", i.e., each REST method is indicated by a binary
bit position in a potentially 64 bit number?

E.g., a/led should be 2^0 | 2^2 = 5

COMMENT:

   For a method X, the presence of a Dynamic-X permission means that the
   subject holds permission to exercise the method X on resources that
   have been returned in a 2.01 (201) response by a Location-indicating
   mechanism to a request that the subject made to the resource listed
   (/a/make-coffee in the example shown in Table 2, which might return
   the location of a resource that allows GET to find out about the
   status and DELETE to cancel the coffee-making operation).

It might be helpful to indicate that 2.01 means "created" (I had to look it
up), and perhaps expand "which might return the location of a resource" to
"which might return the location of a coffee machine resource"