Re: [Ace] Ordering Guarantee in CoAP-EAP

Carsten Bormann <cabo@tzi.org> Thu, 15 April 2021 07:39 UTC

From: Carsten Bormann <cabo@tzi.org>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2021 09:39:24 +0200
Cc: Dan Garcia Carrillo <garciadan@uniovi.es>, Rafa Marin-Lopez <rafa@um.es>, "ace@ietf.org" <ace@ietf.org>
To: Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@mit.edu>
Subject: Re: [Ace] Ordering Guarantee in CoAP-EAP

Hi Ben,

we discussed this in the ACE meeting yesterday.
2.01 actually is the right response code for creating a new resource, indicating the advance in the application state (HATEOAS).
The name of the new resource could be indicated via Location-Path/Location-Query, and would be sent in the next request via Uri-Path/Uri-Query.
Even though many applications will not need that (or not even have the capacity for that), that easily provides for parallel executions of the protocol.
(Making sure that protocol executions cannot be confused with each other is an important basis for some security considerations, too.)

So: no new options or creative use of existing options are needed.

An example for such a protocol, albeit with fewer steps, can be found at:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-schmertmann-dice-codtls-01
(At the time we didn’t have the Echo option, so the draft contains its own cookie mechanism; this can now be replaced by — standard usage of — the Echo option.)

Grüße, Carsten