Re: [Ace] Comments on draft-ietf-ace-mqtt-tls-profile

Jim Schaad <ietf@augustcellars.com> Thu, 23 May 2019 17:41 UTC

From: Jim Schaad <ietf@augustcellars.com>
To: 'Cigdem Sengul' <cigdem.sengul@gmail.com>
CC: draft-ietf-ace-mqtt-tls-profile@ietf.org, ace@ietf.org
Date: Thu, 23 May 2019 10:40:48 -0700
Subject: Re: [Ace] Comments on draft-ietf-ace-mqtt-tls-profile

From: Cigdem Sengul <cigdem.sengul@gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, May 23, 2019 4:21 AM
To: Jim Schaad <ietf@augustcellars.com>
Cc: draft-ietf-ace-mqtt-tls-profile@ietf.org; ace@ietf.org

Thank you, Jim, for the comments.

I have created issues corresponding to each one in the GitHub repository.

We will start working on them, and specifically clarify the issues 1-3 around the CONNECT message.

For 4, MQTT v5 can support a challenge-response; not possible with v3 indeed. Will expand the security considerations section on that.

5.  We described a convention in the draft with SHOULD. Do we turn that into a MUST?

[JLS] I missed this somehow.  What is there is fine.

6. We thought that the AS would dictate the token expiration time. It can also be done that RS times out tokens even if they have not expired. But, security-performance trade-off should be considered.

Token caching is important even if the token does not need introspection. The only time the MQTT client can push a token is with the CONNECT message (all subsequent publish/subscribe messages rely on this). In MQTT v5, a client can push a new token via reauthentication during an ongoing session (enabled by MQTT v5). If RS times out the token, this means a disconnection in MQTT v3. We mention this  in Security considerations as "it is expected that AS follows a reasonable expiration strategy for access tokens"

-->There may be workarounds designed especially MQTT v5 which has better support for request-response style communication. But need to think about it.

[JLS] For introspection, but not for a published token, the token could be “revoked” by the RS.  In this case a new introspection check would lead to that information.  There may be ways to deal with this in the introspection dialog and not need to be called up here.  The question would be does the exi field mean – recheck the token or discard the token.

Jim

7. That is correct. Will add the clarification.

Thanks,

--Cigdem