Re: [Ace] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-ietf-ace-oauth-authz-17.txt and draft-ietf-ace-oauth-params-01.txt

Jim Schaad <ietf@augustcellars.com> Wed, 28 November 2018 17:06 UTC

From: Jim Schaad <ietf@augustcellars.com>
To: draft-ietf-ace-oauth-authz@ietf.org
CC: ace@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2018 09:06:07 -0800
Subject: Re: [Ace] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-ietf-ace-oauth-authz-17.txt and draft-ietf-ace-oauth-params-01.txt

Ludwig,

It looks good.  A couple of additional things that have occurred to me.
(Always a problem when on reads drafts again and again.)

1.  I don't really have a problem with figure 6, but I don't know if we want
to more correctly reflect what an OSCORE message would look like in this
location.  This would basically be a re-write of the entire example
structure to reflect that you have an outer and an inner CoAP message.  It
might be confusing for people who are not fully immersed in the OSCORE
world.

2.  I have no idea of where this would go and it is perhaps something that
the OAuth people need to think about as well.  If an AS receives a request
which has message level security (OSCORE/CWT/JWT) over a session level
security connection (TLS/DTLS/IPSEC) are there any rules/suggestions about
which keys should be used for evaluating the resulting request.  While I
assume that message security wins and the session security is ignored, I
have not seen this anyplace.

3. In section 5.8.1 - It says that for a CWT access token that the
application/cwt content type MUST be used.  There are two possible issues
with this.  1) How does the client know what the type of the token is.  It
could be a CWT, an introspection token, or something else entirely.  2)  Is
it an error if a CWT token is received and the content type is not present?

Jim

Environments
> (ACE) using the OAuth 2.0 Framework (ACE-OAuth)
> Document date:	2018-11-26
> Group:		ace
> Pages:		74
> Htmlized:       https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ace-oauth-authz-17
> Htmlized:
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-ace-oauth-authz
> Diff:
> https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-ace-oauth-authz-17
>
> Abstract:
>     This specification defines a framework for authentication and
>     authorization in Internet of Things (IoT) environments called ACE-
>     OAuth.  The framework is based on a set of building blocks including
>     OAuth 2.0 and CoAP, thus making a well-known and widely used
>     authorization solution suitable for IoT devices.  Existing
>     specifications are used where possible, but where the constraints of
>     IoT devices require it, extensions are added and profiles are
>     defined.

submission

> The IETF Secretariat

Constrained