Re: [Ace] OAuth-Authz Interop

Jim Schaad <ietf@augustcellars.com> Thu, 10 May 2018 18:59 UTC

From: Jim Schaad <ietf@augustcellars.com>
To: 'Mike Jones' <Michael.Jones@microsoft.com>, 'Ludwig Seitz' <ludwig.seitz@ri.se>, ace@ietf.org
Date: Thu, 10 May 2018 11:59:18 -0700
Subject: Re: [Ace] OAuth-Authz Interop

Given that we have already started doing interop work and were successful needing to address the number assignment issues does not seem to be a blocking problem.  As long as all of the people doing the interop testing are agreed on what numbers should be there do not seem to be any issues in testing.  The only problem would be if there was a decision to ship products before the assignments were finalized.

In terms of what size of items to use, this is going to be an interesting argument and one that needs to be finalized at some point.  However, it would be just as easy to remove the sentence as to change the values so there are multiple ways of solving this issue.  I don’t know that I agree that application-specific claim keys should be pushed all of the way up to 256, there is always going to be a trade off at this point in terms of what size of key to use vs how often it is believed that the key is going to be used.  If we believe that a huge percentage of usage in the IoT world for CWT items is going to be for this type of authorization and we want to keep alignment to the extent possible then it still makes sense to use the 1 or 2 byte keys for this purpose.  (Side node, it is normal to include all of the bytes encoded in the length so 256 would be a 3 byte value).  This is a trade off that needs to be discussed, but is not currently blocking.

Jim