Re: [Ace] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-ietf-ace-oauth-authz-17.txt and draft-ietf-ace-oauth-params-01.txt

Jim Schaad <ietf@augustcellars.com> Tue, 11 December 2018 20:38 UTC

From: Jim Schaad <ietf@augustcellars.com>
To: 'Stefanie Gerdes' <gerdes@tzi.de>, 'Ludwig Seitz' <ludwig.seitz@ri.se>, ace@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2018 12:38:32 -0800
Subject: Re: [Ace] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-ietf-ace-oauth-authz-17.txt and draft-ietf-ace-oauth-params-01.txt

I would agree with this.  I have never been sure why the 'iss' field is
going to be useful.  The only place that I can see this would be an AS which
is using one key but two identities.  I would argue that this is a situation
that is prone to configuration errors and incorrect security.

> 5.8.1. exiting -> existing
>
> Section 5.8.1. states that RS must check that the expiration time given in
the
> exp field is in the future. This is difficult if the RS is not time
synchronized.
> Option 3 in section 5.8.3 seems to suggest that this field is not always
required.
> Instead of demanding that the exp field is checked the document should
> demand that the RS somehow validates that the token is not expired.
Checking
> the exp field may be one example.
>
> C may receive keying material for the communication with RS from AS.
> Unfortunately, the AS does not inform C how long the keying material is
valid. C
> therefore may use outdated keying material for the communication. C cannot
> rely on RS to reject messages that were sent with outdated keying material
> because 1. the information in the request sent by C may be confidential
and is
> then compromised and 2. C cannot be sure that it is actually communicating
> with the intended RS if the keying material is no longer valid.

Would you feel that this would be eased by requiring the expires_in field to
be required as part of the response?  It is the expiration of the token, but
I have never understood the difference between the expiration of the token
and the expiration of keying material myself.  Keying material never
expires, you just cannot use it without a valid token.

> I did not find any indication how the client knows how to choose the
correct
> req_aud for RS. The document must point out that C may communicate with
> the wrong RS unless C and AS have a common understanding how RS is
> identified.

Scope is also something that the client does not know how to build.

Jim