Re: [Ace] Genart telechat review of draft-ietf-ace-cbor-web-token-12

Jim Schaad <ietf@augustcellars.com> Mon, 26 February 2018 21:47 UTC

From: Jim Schaad <ietf@augustcellars.com>
To: 'Dan Romascanu' <dromasca@gmail.com>
CC: 'gen-art' <gen-art@ietf.org>, ace@ietf.org, 'ietf' <ietf@ietf.org>, draft-ietf-ace-cbor-web-token.all@ietf.org
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2018 13:47:31 -0800
Subject: Re: [Ace] Genart telechat review of draft-ietf-ace-cbor-web-token-12

From: Dan Romascanu [mailto:dromasca@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, February 26, 2018 1:19 PM
To: Jim Schaad <ietf@augustcellars.com>
Cc: gen-art <gen-art@ietf.org>; ace@ietf.org; ietf <ietf@ietf.org>; draft-ietf-ace-cbor-web-token.all@ietf.org

Hi Jim,

Thank you for your answer and for addressing my comments.

On item #2:

On Mon, Feb 26, 2018 at 10:12 PM, Jim Schaad <ietf@augustcellars.com <mailto:ietf@augustcellars.com> > wrote:

> [...]

This is the same approach that is being used for the COSE registries.  As an example, you can look at https://www.iana.org/assignments/cose/cose.xhtml#algorithms.

Part of the issue about this is that the JOSE/JWT registries do have the same different policies, but that differences are hidden from the IANA registry.  Since they allow for a URI to be used as the identifier of a field, only the plain text versions are registered.  Thus I can use "http://augustcellars.com/JWT/My_Tag" as an identifier.  Since for CBOR the set of tag values is closed and does not have this escape (nor would one want the length of the tag) it is necessary to have this break down of tag fields.

This does not seem to be exactly the same approach. The COSE RFC 8152 defines the registry policy in a different manner. There is only one policy that is proposed 'Expert Review' and than the Expert Review Instructions are used to define the cases when a Standards Track specification is required. No such text exists in the current I-D. There is no separation of the values space in the registry according to the type of assignment here, as  in RFC 8152.

[JLS] The policies look to be the same to me, but I may be missing something that you are seeing..  Remember that Specification Required implies Expert review.

Regards,

Dan