Re: [Ace] Review of draft-ietf-ace-oauth-params-00

Jim Schaad <ietf@augustcellars.com> Thu, 25 October 2018 20:51 UTC

From: Jim Schaad <ietf@augustcellars.com>
To: 'Ludwig Seitz' <ludwig.seitz@ri.se>, ace@ietf.org
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2018 13:51:21 -0700
Subject: Re: [Ace] Review of draft-ietf-ace-oauth-params-00

I rather have to agree that these do not seem to be doing the same thing.
The 'resource' parameter looks like it could actually be used in parallel
with the 'aud' parameter if you want to refer to a specific RS which is
hosting the audience in question.  But that would be some form of narrowing
of scope.

> Furthermore there seems also to be an overlap with the 'scope'
> parameter, since the 'resource' parameter can be used to indicate specific
> resources and not only the target RS.
>
> What if we want to identify the audience by its public key instead of an
URI?

Ludwig, this is not actually a problem since there is a URI for doing that.

> What if a client wants to request a token for a group of RS identified by
> specific audience value (e.g. "thermostats-building-1")?

One of the things that I kept hearing is that an audience may be hosted by
multiple resource servers as long as I have been going to ACE meetings.
This does not seem to be a problem with the OAuth in HTTP right now as a CDN
would hide that level of detail.

Jim