Re: [Acme] Proposed ACME Charter Language

Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie> Mon, 20 April 2015 16:34 UTC

Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 17:34:05 +0100
From: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
To: Russ Housley <housley@vigilsec.com>
Cc: IETF ACME <acme@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Acme] Proposed ACME Charter Language

Hi Russ,

On 20/04/15 17:11, Russ Housley wrote:
> Stephen:
>
> If that paragraph were removed, would you be happier with the
> charter?  If so, consider it gone.

I would be happier yes. But I think we're better off having the
discussion now, before chartering, since otherwise we may end up
re-doing it a number of times.

If that discussion ends up with rough consensus for a "don't
duplicate" position then text such as you propose would be correct.
If that discussion ends up with rough consensus on a "duplicate
away, earlier efforts failed" position then it'd probably be a
good idea to say so in the charter text. (So, your bit of puzzling
text is very useful in the end - it may force us to get this out
of the way early.)

> I'm willing to assume that an
> attempt to replace things that people are using will meet with
> vigorous discussion.

Right. People are using CMC, but not afaik when dealing with any
public CAs for getting certificates for public Internet services.
I think CMP has some similar but much smaller set of real uses. (*)
And I'm not sure if EST has gotten traction. SCEP has uses but
that's another kettle of cans of worms and fish;-)

I think it would be better to have the vigorous discussion about
CMC vs.ACME-JSON-etc (if that's the one we need to have) before
we form the WG. But is that in fact the meat of your concern here?
If so, then I assume you'd be arguing for use of CMC/CRMF PDUs
in ACME messages. If not, I'm not back to being puzzled. Can you
clarify?

Cheers,
S.

(*) Last I checked, there still were a set of real users of CMP that
meant it would be wrong to declare it HISTORIC. If that's changed
since, it might be a fine thing to do though, and I'm happy to help
there, so if anyone has info please let us know, though that'd be
better done via mail on the pkix list (and then saag) and not here.