[Acme] Benjamin Kaduk's Yes on draft-ietf-acme-email-smime-13: (with COMMENT)

Benjamin Kaduk via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Wed, 13 January 2021 23:04 UTC

From: Benjamin Kaduk via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-acme-email-smime@ietf.org, acme-chairs@ietf.org, acme@ietf.org, Rich Salz <rsalz@akamai.com>, rsalz@akamai.com
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2021 15:04:04 -0800
Subject: [Acme] Benjamin Kaduk's Yes on draft-ietf-acme-email-smime-13: (with COMMENT)

draft-ietf-acme-email-smime-13: Yes

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-acme-email-smime/

COMMENT:

Thanks for the updates to get to the -13; they look really good.

The new text did inspire one further comment, though I don't see a
particular text change that might result, plus I spotted a few editorial nits.

Section 1

   1.  A Mail User Agent (MUA) which has built in ACME client aware of
       the extension described in this document.  (We will call such
       ACME clients "ACME-email-aware") Such MUA can present nice User
       Interface to the user and automate certificate issuance.

(nit?) In the parenthetical, are we calling the ACME clients or the MUA
"ACME-email-aware"?  Also, full stop for the end of the sentence.

Section 3

(nit?) In step 8, the MUST-level requirement in the last sentence probably
promotes it into not being a parenthetical.

Section 3.1

          If S/MIME signing is used, the certificate corresponding to
          the signer MUST have rfc822Name subjectAltName extension with
          the value equal to the From header field email address of the
          "challenge" email.

A strict equality requirement might make it operationally challenging to
use a unique "from" challenge for each request.  I don't see any
feasible alternative, though, as getting into + suffixes in the local
part seems like a non-starter for this document.

Also, nit: s/subjectAltName extension/a subjectAltName extension/