Re: [Acme] case in point of usability

Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie> Wed, 01 April 2015 09:15 UTC

Return-Path: <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
X-Original-To: acme@ietfa.amsl.com
Delivered-To: acme@ietfa.amsl.com
Received: from localhost (ietfa.amsl.com [127.0.0.1]) by ietfa.amsl.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 158D41A8BC5 for <acme@ietfa.amsl.com>; Wed, 1 Apr 2015 02:15:55 -0700 (PDT)
X-Virus-Scanned: amavisd-new at amsl.com
X-Spam-Flag: NO
X-Spam-Score: -4.21
X-Spam-Level:
X-Spam-Status: No, score=-4.21 tagged_above=-999 required=5 tests=[BAYES_00=-1.9, RCVD_IN_DNSWL_MED=-2.3, T_RP_MATCHES_RCVD=-0.01] autolearn=ham
Received: from mail.ietf.org ([4.31.198.44]) by localhost (ietfa.amsl.com [127.0.0.1]) (amavisd-new, port 10024) with ESMTP id uqTlY5JPzLpS for <acme@ietfa.amsl.com>; Wed, 1 Apr 2015 02:15:54 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from mercury.scss.tcd.ie (mercury.scss.tcd.ie [134.226.56.6]) (using TLSv1.2 with cipher AECDH-AES256-SHA (256/256 bits)) (No client certificate requested) by ietfa.amsl.com (Postfix) with ESMTPS id D8D071A0636 for <acme@ietf.org>; Wed, 1 Apr 2015 02:15:53 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from localhost (localhost [127.0.0.1]) by mercury.scss.tcd.ie (Postfix) with ESMTP id AA327BE35; Wed, 1 Apr 2015 10:15:52 +0100 (IST)
X-Virus-Scanned: Debian amavisd-new at scss.tcd.ie
Received: from mercury.scss.tcd.ie ([127.0.0.1]) by localhost (mercury.scss.tcd.ie [127.0.0.1]) (amavisd-new, port 10024) with ESMTP id azKBI2q4iqJQ; Wed, 1 Apr 2015 10:15:51 +0100 (IST)
Received: from [10.87.48.73] (unknown [86.46.29.244]) by mercury.scss.tcd.ie (Postfix) with ESMTPSA id 92425BEE2; Wed, 1 Apr 2015 10:15:50 +0100 (IST)
Message-ID: <551BB744.7030007@cs.tcd.ie>
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2015 10:15:48 +0100
From: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:31.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/31.5.0
MIME-Version: 1.0
To: Carl Mehner <c@cem.me>
References: <551AB92F.6080004@cs.tcd.ie> <CAEa9xj7YUyQW5xzmXWC5Cj9undu3U+GEZqTgxnf5igBMF=39Sw@mail.gmail.com>
In-Reply-To: <CAEa9xj7YUyQW5xzmXWC5Cj9undu3U+GEZqTgxnf5igBMF=39Sw@mail.gmail.com>
OpenPGP: id=D66EA7906F0B897FB2E97D582F3C8736805F8DA2; url=
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Archived-At: <http://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/acme/dWQdwVoiCvt8XlzVTyTwXMv4EzA>
Cc: "acme@ietf.org" <acme@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Acme] case in point of usability
X-BeenThere: acme@ietf.org
X-Mailman-Version: 2.1.15
Precedence: list
List-Id: Automated Certificate Management Environment <acme.ietf.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <https://www.ietf.org/mailman/options/acme>, <mailto:acme-request@ietf.org?subject=unsubscribe>
List-Archive: <http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/acme/>
List-Post: <mailto:acme@ietf.org>
List-Help: <mailto:acme-request@ietf.org?subject=help>
List-Subscribe: <https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/acme>, <mailto:acme-request@ietf.org?subject=subscribe>
X-List-Received-Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2015 09:15:55 -0000

Hi Carl,

On 01/04/15 06:16, Carl Mehner wrote:
> If we do want to put these type of considerations in the draft,
> maybe the security considerations section is the best place.
> Something along the lines of:
> 
> When preparing to use the new certificate received from a issuance or
> refresh, the client software should check that the OCSP response from
> the certificate authority is valid before enabling the new certificate
> for use in the server system. If the OCSP response is requested too
> early by the server system, a 'revoked' or 'unknown' OCSP response may
> be cached and cause browsers to fail connection attempts.

Maybe. OTOH, my "client s/w" in this case is the openssl CLI
and that's fairly gigantically crap. I did get it to emit an
OCSP request that was sent somewhere but only ever got an
error response. Before I figured that out I found the set of
postings from other folks who'd suffered the same issue so
I stopped playing.

I'd argue that stuff like this ought be catered for by acme,
but we can have that discussion down the road when/if we're
standardising the protocol in a wg.

S.

PS: My Cullen-moment here was also extended because I got bad
warnings from browsers - FF said "bad issuer" and it was only
when I got to my phone and running the qualsys tests that I
saw that it was actually an ocsp issue.