Re: [Acme] Considerations about ACME BoF

Jeremy Rowley <jeremy.rowley@digicert.com> Mon, 30 March 2015 23:42 UTC

From: Jeremy Rowley <jeremy.rowley@digicert.com>
To: Leif Johansson <leifj@sunet.se>, "acme@ietf.org" <acme@ietf.org>
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2015 23:42:20 +0000
x-originating-ip: [67.137.52.6]
Subject: Re: [Acme] Considerations about ACME BoF

I think your last sentence illustrates the fundamental issue - the discussion of creating another CA isn't really scope of the standards body (as it's purely the establishment and operation of a business practice). The discussion should revolve around the proposed technology rather than the operations of one implementer.

>From the IETF's mission page:
"The IETF's mission is 'to make the Internet work better,' but it is the Internet Engineering Task Force, so this means: make the Internet work better from an engineering point of view. We try to avoid policy and business questions, as much as possible. If you're interested in these general aspects, consider joining the Internet Society. Most participants in the IETF are engineers with knowledge of networking protocols and software. Many of them know a lot about networking hardware too".

During the BoF, there seemed to be a lot of unnecessary discussion about business operations and policy.

Jeremy