Re: [Acme] case in point of usability

Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie> Wed, 01 April 2015 12:51 UTC

Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2015 13:51:04 +0100
From: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
To: Ben Laurie <benl@google.com>
Cc: "acme@ietf.org" <acme@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Acme] case in point of usability

On 01/04/15 13:38, Ben Laurie wrote:
> On 1 April 2015 at 13:19, Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie> wrote:
>>
>> And in a happy ending for this thread, when I whacked in
>> the new cert today it all worked.
>>
>> Interestingly, there was a point where it was fine in all
>> but one browser - that lasted an hour or so before they
>> were all ok, not quite sure why, but there's clearly more
>> going on with ocsp caching than I know about;-)
>
> Are you sure it wasn't the intermediate problem you were originally
> investigating?

I am sure in the sense of "I did what the forum post said and
it worked," yes:-) [1]

And while the CA has produced a new chain, the old intermediates
chain works fine and is what's in place now and working with all
browsers. I did check the new chain differs from the old one, but
I didn't bother checking exactly how, other than the dates. So I
guess it really was OCSP.

But from the acme POV, it doesn't really matter what was going on
in the OCSP infrastructure - the point was that the renewal process
didn't take that into account at all, leading to user-visible errors.
Bleh. And something where we can do better with acme now we (well,
some of we), know how OSCP caching happens in CDNs and all that.
(Or, as Rob said, we could go all stapled with acme maybe.)

S.

[1] https://forum.startcom.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2654