Re: [Add] meeting hum: should the IETF take up this work?

Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@nic.fr> Wed, 24 July 2019 17:17 UTC

Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2019 13:15:49 -0400
From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@nic.fr>
To: "STARK, BARBARA H" <bs7652@att.com>
Cc: 'Rob Sayre' <sayrer@gmail.com>, "'add@ietf.org'" <add@ietf.org>, 'Barry Leiba' <barryleiba.mailing.lists@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Add] meeting hum: should the IETF take up this work?

On Tue, Jul 23, 2019 at 10:46:05PM +0000,
 STARK, BARBARA H <bs7652@att.com> wrote
 a message of 183 lines which said:

> But I don’t think they have the operational experience/knowledge to
> fully understand what might happen in various access networks
> (especially mobile networks)

It is not just a matter of experience and knowledge. People (and
organisations) also have opinions and practical interests. Those in
power do not want to relinquish this power, those who have access to
data do not want to lose that access, etc. Framing the issue as "those
who know" vs. "the ignorants" is not the right way to go, IMHO.

> if they started defaulting all their application users to DNS
> servers outside the local (ISP, enterprise, university, etc.)
> network.

The IETF is certainy welcome to discuss that trend (although, as I
noted in a recent message
<https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/add/yqQV8KAmVKaJG2YussbSlJOdB7E>,
it has nothing to do with "Applications Doing DNS") but with some
modesty: we design protocols, we can provide advices on how to use it,
but people can make deployment choices of their own. Using the access
network DNS resolver was never an IETF standard (or was it? Any