Re: [alto] Proposed Agenda for Interims #2-5

kaigao@scu.edu.cn Tue, 25 April 2023 14:55 UTC

Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2023 22:54:57 +0800
From: kaigao@scu.edu.cn
To: LUIS MIGUEL CONTRERAS MURILLO <luismiguel.contrerasmurillo@telefonica.com>
Cc: "mohamed.boucadair@orange.com" <mohamed.boucadair@orange.com>, IETF ALTO <alto@ietf.org>, Qin Wu <bill.wu@huawei.com>
Subject: Re: [alto] Proposed Agenda for Interims #2-5

Hi Luis and all,

Thanks for the effort. The information is really useful and comprehensive. I think it lays a very good foundation to discuss and proceed with potential ALTO extensions.

With the rationale that, in my opinion, sets the expectations for each data source, I am wondering whether it is beneficial to discuss gaps and constraints as well.

For example, I used to work on providing ALTO maps using SDN, or more precisely, using Open Daylight. Open Daylight has very good (among the best AFAIK) YANG support and the topology models were already support a few years back. One problem, however, was that using the topology information alone cannot generate high-precision network map or cost map: you still need to know where the hosts are attached and what is the routing. Thus, it has to be combined with other data sources, for example, host tracker in the SDN case or BGP/BGP-LS in provider networks, or be limited to specific networks, for example, those using link state routing protocols.

I am not saying that the document should summarize the gaps and/or constraints of all the data sources. Rather, I feel that the topic might be a useful input to the interim meeting and to future ALTO extensions.

Best,

Kai