Re: [alto] Path Vector final touch

"Gao Kai" <gaok12@mails.tsinghua.edu.cn> Mon, 19 March 2018 15:28 UTC

Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2018 23:28:45 +0800
From: Gao Kai <gaok12@mails.tsinghua.edu.cn>
To: "Y. Richard Yang" <yry@cs.yale.edu>
Cc: IETF ALTO <alto@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [alto] Path Vector final touch

Hi Richard and WG,

On Issue 1:

My personal opinions on Issue 1 are:

1. Both work in a single query and Approach 2 may look simpler.
2. However, Approach 1 eliminates the need to "name" the property map. Thus, it may work with the current SSE extension much more easily: Issue 2 will not even be raised.

On Issue 2:

The anonymous functions (at least in JVM-based languages) are not really "anonymous" -- the compilers name the functions internally. Applying the similar method in ALTO, anonymous resources should be those temporarily generated by a query and should be automatically named by the ALTO server.

There are three approaches.

1. Use "resource-id" in "vtag".
The easiest way seems to force a "vtag" field be included in ALL responses and the ALTO Server fills in the "resource-id" field for each "anonymous resource". However, it does not work with Filtered Network Map.

2. Use the combination of "resource-id" and "tag".
Might be tricky when using SSE, such as for a combination of Network Map and its corresponding Filtered Network Map together.

3. Add a new field.
Seems like the most clean way.

One concern is that the benefits of anonymous resources are not that obvious at the moment. If we ever choose to introduce anonymous resources, my preference would be 3, 1, 2. And only in that case should we prefer Approach 2 in Issue 1.

Best Regards,
Kai