Re: [alto] A new draft draft-liu-alto-can-usecase-00 for discussion and comments

Peng Liu <liupengyjy@chinamobile.com> Thu, 22 July 2021 10:16 UTC

Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2021 18:16:45 +0800
From: Peng Liu <liupengyjy@chinamobile.com>
To: LUIS MIGUEL CONTRERAS MURILLO <luismiguel.contrerasmurillo@telefonica.com>
Cc: alto <alto@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [alto] A new draft draft-liu-alto-can-usecase-00 for discussion and comments

Hi Luis,

Thanks for the question and comments, please see inline.

Regards,

Peng

Peng Liu | 刘鹏

China Mobile | 移动研究院

mobile phone:13810146105

email:  liupengyjy@chinamobile.com

发件人: LUIS MIGUEL CONTRERAS MURILLO

时间: 2021/07/21(星期三)23:36

收件人: Peng Liu;alto;

Hi Peng,

Thanks for sharing. Looking at the figure of the CAN framework I can see depicted multiple components interacting with the ALTO server: Service Orchestration,  Computing OAM, Routing Management and Resource Management. This brings to my mind a number of questions:

-          Do you foresee an individual interaction per component with the ALTO Server? If so, what would be the specific interaction per component and to what  extend such interaction would imply some extension?

[][   [PL] I think Alto has the potential to do some management work. Each component interacts with specific information, and may also make corresponding expansion. But I don't mean that every component has to interact with Alto(Maybe it's a misunderstanding of the graph). An alternative way is to have a unified agent to interact with Alto. On the one hand, it needs to consider the specific implementation of functions, on the other hand, it depend on whether alto could or want.

-          Would not be more practical to consider a single ALTO Client as part of the Computing and Network Management Layer aggregating all the requests towards  the ALTO Server? This also could decouple the solution from a specific CAN architecture

[]   [PL] It is a good way, thank you! Maintaining a certain degree of decoupling is also conducive to the realization, which we will consider in detail later.

-          In the scheduling section, you mention the possibility of retrieving real time information. How far the information could be “real-time”? I mean, in  the way ALTO works (i.e., collecting information from protocols such BGP with certain timers) the notion of “real-time” could be relative. Would the aging of that information sufficient to ensure the “real-time” needs? Would it be needed any other mechanisms  to shorten the period of information refreshment?

[PL] I agree with that the notion of “real-time” could be relative. The real-time performance may affect the result of scheduling. If it is good, the scheduling can be more accurate and better meet the application requirements; If the real-time performance is not good, the network or node state may change when the flows arrive, resulting in the demand can not be met. BGP is an option but may not be satisfied for the application with very high delay requirements, so we are also studying how to improve the performance of BGP or announce the corresponding information through other ways.

Best regards

Luis