[alto] Meeting minutes for Tuesday 07/11/2023

kaigao@scu.edu.cn Tue, 11 July 2023 14:34 UTC

Return-Path: <kaigao@scu.edu.cn>
X-Original-To: alto@ietfa.amsl.com
Delivered-To: alto@ietfa.amsl.com
Received: from localhost (localhost [127.0.0.1]) by ietfa.amsl.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 8DA2EC151980 for <alto@ietfa.amsl.com>; Tue, 11 Jul 2023 07:34:00 -0700 (PDT)
X-Virus-Scanned: amavisd-new at amsl.com
X-Spam-Flag: NO
X-Spam-Score: -1.897
X-Spam-Level:
X-Spam-Status: No, score=-1.897 tagged_above=-999 required=5 tests=[BAYES_00=-1.9, RCVD_IN_MSPIKE_H5=0.001, RCVD_IN_MSPIKE_WL=0.001, RCVD_IN_ZEN_BLOCKED_OPENDNS=0.001, SPF_HELO_NONE=0.001, SPF_PASS=-0.001] autolearn=ham autolearn_force=no
Received: from mail.ietf.org ([50.223.129.194]) by localhost (ietfa.amsl.com [127.0.0.1]) (amavisd-new, port 10024) with ESMTP id tG_CRf82QAla for <alto@ietfa.amsl.com>; Tue, 11 Jul 2023 07:33:57 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from zg8tmty3ljk5ljewns4xndka.icoremail.net (zg8tmty3ljk5ljewns4xndka.icoremail.net [167.99.105.149]) by ietfa.amsl.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id DA116C151710 for <alto@ietf.org>; Tue, 11 Jul 2023 07:33:56 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from kaigao$scu.edu.cn ( [125.70.168.125] ) by ajax-webmail-app1 (Coremail) ; Tue, 11 Jul 2023 22:33:41 +0800 (GMT+08:00)
X-Originating-IP: [125.70.168.125]
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 22:33:41 +0800
X-CM-HeaderCharset: UTF-8
From: kaigao@scu.edu.cn
To: alto@ietf.org
X-Priority: 3
X-Mailer: Coremail Webmail Server Version XT5.0.14 build 20220420(bbe86039) Copyright (c) 2002-2023 www.mailtech.cn mail
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
MIME-Version: 1.0
Message-ID: <396a7cc0.813d.189455f515c.Coremail.kaigao@scu.edu.cn>
X-Coremail-Locale: en_US
X-CM-TRANSID: 4wAACgBHgchGaK1kpLUcAg--.11362W
X-CM-SenderInfo: 5ndlwt3r6vu3oohg3hdfq/1tbiAQYJB2Ss-rEKoAACsm
X-Coremail-Antispam: 1Ur529EdanIXcx71UUUUU7IcSsGvfJ3iIAIbVAYjsxI4VW3Jw CS07vEb4IE77IF4wCS07vE1I0E4x80FVAKz4kxMIAIbVAFxVCaYxvI4VCIwcAKzIAtYxBI daVFxhVjvjDU=
Archived-At: <https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/alto/Pilp32Q93OdCzRoE1Hz1SmLHnnk>
Subject: [alto] Meeting minutes for Tuesday 07/11/2023
X-BeenThere: alto@ietf.org
X-Mailman-Version: 2.1.39
Precedence: list
List-Id: "Application-Layer Traffic Optimization \(alto\) WG mailing list" <alto.ietf.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <https://www.ietf.org/mailman/options/alto>, <mailto:alto-request@ietf.org?subject=unsubscribe>
List-Archive: <https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/alto/>
List-Post: <mailto:alto@ietf.org>
List-Help: <mailto:alto-request@ietf.org?subject=help>
List-Subscribe: <https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/alto>, <mailto:alto-request@ietf.org?subject=subscribe>
X-List-Received-Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2023 14:34:00 -0000

Dear all,

The meeting minutes of today's meeting are attached below. You may also check the github page to follow up previous meetings.

Best,
Kai

Meeting minutes: https://github.com/ietf-wg-alto/wg-materials/blob/main/meetings-ietf-alto/ietf-alto-2023.md

==============================

Minutes: (Note taker: Kai) Focus: Preparation of IETF 117 and recharter conversation

- Action items:
  -  Richard will set up the meeting with CATS and send an invite to the mailing list
  -  Identify the leader of the BGP community document. Come up with two concrete proposals.(Richard volunteers)
  -  Chunchi will engage with Ayoub to work on the item.

Discussions:
  -  Meeting with CATS on how to coordinate between Luis's document and CATS's document(s)
     -   Metrics related to computing are defined in both working groups and need to be coordinated
     -   Adrian will have 5 min to present at ALTO during IETF 117
     -   Richard suggests having a working session with CATS members earlier before IETF
     -   Sabine: The CATS draft does not list the metrics. CATS is looking at low-level metrics for traffic steering, not necessarily the same way in ALTO.
     -   Sabine: Both approaches are complementary. It is necessary to define the intersection and the (difference). For intersected metrics, there might be inter-dependency between the two WGs. For unrelated metrics, both WG can proceed on their own.
  -  IETF 117 agenda
     -   Jordi: Focus on priorities. 1 or 2 topics in IETF:
         -   Suggestion by Med: motivation, problem description and charter item proposal
         -   Deployment catalyst.
     -   Deployment catalyst discussion:
         -   Richard: A large amount of successful protocols are about HOW not WHAT. Deployment catalyst is difficult because it is missing HOW in ALTO.
         -   Qin: (Agree with the argument) To promote the ALTO deployment, focus on integration and operation.
         -   Jordi suggests targeting this as an informational document
     -   BGP community/BGP-LS &amp; ALTO:
         -   Qin: Propose BGP community for ALTO map and BGP-LS integration with ALTO. Discuss the problem space and motivation.
         -   Qin: Luis might be overloaded and another person is needed to lead the efforts
         -   Richard volunteered to take the responsibility
     -   Discussion on integration with compute
         -   Qin: Concern is that IETF does not have protocols to connect computation.
         -   Jordi: Two elements: 1. How to get information. 2. How to expose that information. There is a need to understand the space with some informational documents.
         -   Richard: Protocol is connecting the dots: you have something already and define how things can be done. But no dots for computing in IETF now.
         -   Discussion by Richard, Jorid and Qin suggests an investigation of existing standards on exposing compute (as an informational document) is highly useful
         -       initial sources: COINRG, CATS (in progress), ETSI, 5G,
         -       Jordi suggested having a survey of use cases to obtain a list of required metrics
         -       Qin suggested the boundary between ALTO and CATS is that CATS defines the metrics and common abstractions of computing while ALTO defines how to connect/query the metrics (?)
         -   Jordi suggested focusing on new elements that weren't covered in IETF 116 for this topic
      -  Green networking
         -   Richard: A large concern is energy consuming. Will that be a good starting metric to work on?
         -   Qin: IETF already has this energy mib (?) IETF has a side meeting. Green networking has been discussed in nmrg.
      -  Security
         -   Qin: The security part by Fujitsu is still in the research stage. Luis has prepared some slides to discuss security consolidation. Potential discuss on using JOSE object for ALTO.
         -   Chunchi will take the lead for integration ALTO with JOSE (?) and engage Ayoub.