Re: [alto] A new draft draft-liu-alto-can-usecase-00 for discussion and comments

Peng Liu <liupengyjy@chinamobile.com> Sun, 25 July 2021 03:46 UTC

Date: 25 Jul 2021 11:46:24 +0800
From: =?utf-8?B?UGVuZyBMaXU=?=<liupengyjy@chinamobile.com>
To: =?utf-8?B?UWluIFd1?=<bill.wu@huawei.com>
Cc: =?utf-8?B?TFVJUyBNSUdVRUwgQ09OVFJFUkFTIE1VUklMTE8=?=<luismiguel.contrerasmurillo@telefonica.com>, alto<alto@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [alto] A new draft draft-liu-alto-can-usecase-00 for discussion and comments

Hi Qin,

Thanks. These issues really deserve further consideration. Please see inline.

Regards,

Peng

Peng Liu | 刘鹏

China Mobile | 移动研究院

mobile phone:13810146105

email:  liupengyjy@chinamobile.com

发件人: Qin Wu

时间: 2021/07/23(星期五)21:31

收件人: LUIS MIGUEL CONTRERAS MURILLO;Peng Liu;alto;

Hi Peng,

Thanks for sharing. Looking at the figure of the CAN framework I can see depicted multiple  components interacting with the ALTO server: Service Orchestration, Computing OAM, Routing Management and Resource Management. This brings to my mind a number of questions:

 -          Do you foresee an individual interaction per component with the ALTO Server? If so, what would be the specific interaction per component  and to what extend such interaction would imply some extension?

[Qin Wu] Good question, let me ask authors in a different angle

 1.       Can we have one single protocol to collect both network information and compute information

[PL] Yes, extending BGP may be an option, or the network probe packet carrys computing information. Both require the service node to expose the corresponding information to the gateway.

 2.       or we still use different protocol to collect network information and compute information but, we could use one single protocol e.g.,  ALTO protocol to expose both network information and compute information to the application?

The problem, how we can make sure the network information and compute information are synchronized if these  information change over time?

[PL] If the network and computing information are colleted to Alto through different protocols, it is difficult to maintain absolute synchronization unless time stamps and other information are added, but this may require time synchronization of all the network nodes and the service nodes, which will cause some additional expenses. The accuracy of synchronization will affect the quality of service, and the demands of applications should also be considered.

 -          Would not be more practical to consider a single ALTO Client as part of the Computing and Network Management Layer aggregating all the  requests towards the ALTO Server? This also could decouple the solution from a specific CAN architecture

 -          In the scheduling section, you mention the possibility of retrieving real time information. How far the information could be “real-time”?  I mean, in the way ALTO works (i.e., collecting information from protocols such BGP with certain timers) the notion of “real-time” could be relative. Would the aging of that information sufficient to ensure the “real-time” needs? Would it be needed any other  mechanisms to shorten the period of information refreshment?

Best regards

Luis