Re: [alto] WG Review: ALTO Charter Update(Internet mail)

"chunshxiong(熊春山)" <chunshxiong@tencent.com> Tue, 11 May 2021 08:40 UTC

From: =?gb2312?B?Y2h1bnNoeGlvbmco0Ny0usm9KQ==?= <chunshxiong@tencent.com>
To: Qin Wu <bill.wu@huawei.com>, IETF ALTO <alto@ietf.org>
CC: "alto-chairs@ietf.org" <alto-chairs@ietf.org>, Zaheduzzaman Sarker <zaheduzzaman.sarker@ericsson.com>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2021 08:39:48 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.28.2.16]
Subject: Re: [alto] WG Review: ALTO Charter Update(Internet mail)

Hello WuQian and working group,

I provide our views on this recharter.

Firstly, we think ALTO is an IETF WG to standardize the interaction between application and network, initially for P2P application and now it is a good chance to continue optimization to support these new interactive services like Cloud Gaming, XR/AR, V2X application etc.

Secondly, we have been working together with colleagues from network operator, network vendor and academy et. al. for quite long to perform ALTO-oriented research and also real network testing which have already show very clear benefits and we contribute MoWIE to this WG (https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-huang-alto-mowie-for-network-aware-app/).  We think the listed items, i.e. the generic protocol extension for policy attributer, proposed as the high priority for recharter proposal in IETF#110 ALTO shows rough consensus to some extent. If ALTO WG doesn't continue these topics explicitly, it is very regretful and we really feel disappointed about this.

Thirdly, there have been more and more interests in these interactive services from many SDOs including 3GPP and IEEE etc. In year 2020, IEEE has setup up a new working group related to cloud gaming. In 3GPP since 2019 we have led Rel-17 5G_AIS (Advanced Interactive Services) and also we are driving another new Rel-18 study item in 3GPP to further enhance interaction between application and network for these interactive services from network perspective. If IETF can have corresponding standard activities (as 3GPP and IEEE are working on network and lower layers), that would be great for standards synergy and Internet ecosystem. Otherwise, it is really a pity that we missed a very important technical direction in Internet.

Therefore, we sincerely hope ALTO can re-consider such way forward.

BRs,
Chunshan Xiong