[alto] Suresh Krishnan's Discuss on draft-ietf-alto-xdom-disc-04: (with DISCUSS)

Suresh Krishnan <suresh@kaloom.com> Wed, 05 December 2018 16:05 UTC

From: Suresh Krishnan <suresh@kaloom.com>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-alto-xdom-disc@ietf.org, Jan Seedorf <jan.seedorf@hft-stuttgart.de>, alto-chairs@ietf.org, jan.seedorf@hft-stuttgart.de, alto@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 05 Dec 2018 08:05:19 -0800
Subject: [alto] Suresh Krishnan's Discuss on draft-ietf-alto-xdom-disc-04: (with DISCUSS)

Suresh Krishnan has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-alto-xdom-disc-04: Discuss

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-alto-xdom-disc/

DISCUSS:

* Section 5.1.2.

I am having a hard time seeing how this can be implemented as described.

"Therefore, a dual stack or multihomed resource consumer SHOULD either always
use the same address for contacting the resource directory and the resource
providers, i.e., overriding the operating system's automatic source IP address
selection"

What exactly is the mechanism to be used for the override? A policy table
(manual or RFC7078)? I think it would be good if the document can provide an
implementable description based on RFC6724.

* Section 3.2.  Step 1

"Similarly, if AT=IPv6 and L < 32, the procedure aborts  and indicates an
"invalid prefix length" error to the caller."

I am trying to understand why is this a limitation. An IPv6 prefix can
certainly legally have a length of < 32.