[Anima-bootstrap] converging on some common terminology

Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca> Fri, 20 January 2017 15:26 UTC

From: Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>
To: anima@ietf.org, 6tisch@ietf.org
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2017 10:26:07 -0500
Cc: anima-bootstrap <anima-bootstrap@ietf.org>, netconf@ietf.org, 6tisch-security@ietf.org
Subject: [Anima-bootstrap] converging on some common terminology

At the 6tisch-security design team call and then on the anima bootstrap call
on Tuesday, we discussed merging of terminology as an important step to
getting all the bootstrap ideas together.

These are the terms which we have concluded on:

1) PLEDGE.      replaces Joining Node and "New Node"
2) JOIN PROXY.  replaces Join Assistant and bare "Proxy"
3) JOIN REGISTRAR (and Coordinator). Replaces bare "Registrar", and JCE.
                   The "Coordinator" part is considered a seperate,
                   co-located, but optional role.

4) MASA.        remains the same.
5) vendor provided interface that MASA uses to talk to remains unnamed.

Here are the proposals therefore:

ANIMA, dtbootstrap document.
        was already using PLEDGE. (KEEP IT)
        PROXY -> JOIN PROXY.
        REGISTRAR -> officially, "Join Registrar", maybe be shortened
                     in the text to "Registrar" where this is unambiguous.

6tisch-dtsecurity ("Phase one") and 6tisch-minimal security ("One-Touch/Phase two"):

Was using Joining Node    --> Pledge.
Was using Join Assistant  --> Join Proxy
Was using Joint Coordination Entity (JCE)  -> Join Registrar and Coordinator.
Adds term MASA.

Additional terms which we need to import:

  1) "drop ship"
  2) "imprint",
  3) "enrollment",
  4) "audit token", "ownership token"  <- from draft-ietf-anima-voucher.

There also some discussion about the terminology used by 802.15.10:
      "mesh root"  <- has a coordinator role and a registrar role as I
      understand it.

We asked if: Registrar and Coordinator always co-located?
We thought so, but there could be exceptions, and it might be out of scope.

ACTION ITEMS
1) ANIMA documents to update terms, and be authoritative for terms.
2) 6tisch documents to update terms, pointing at ANIMA and 6tisch terminology.
3) 6tisch terminology document to include the terms as being imported from ANIMA.
4) netconf: probably just adjust terminology to point at when they terms are
            the same as ANIMA, or when they are different.

 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-