Re: [Anima-bootstrap] bootstrap purpose

peter van der Stok <stokcons@xs4all.nl> Tue, 24 May 2016 15:02 UTC

Date: Tue, 24 May 2016 17:02:06 +0200
From: peter van der Stok <stokcons@xs4all.nl>
To: "Michael Behringer (mbehring)" <mbehring@cisco.com>
Cc: Anima-bootstrap <anima-bootstrap@ietf.org>, consultancy@vanderstok.org
Subject: Re: [Anima-bootstrap] bootstrap purpose

Hi Michael,

In earlier versions of the bootstrapping the purpose was to add an
unsecured node to a secured mesh network.
Nodes on the secured network exchanged encrypted messages.
New nodes had to learn the keys to encrypt.
New nodes were not allowed to communicate with other secured nodes but
for starting the acquisition of the keys.

Therefore the joining node needed a neighbouring proxy, because
unsecured messages were not routed over the secured network.
I don't find the concept of secured network any more and start wondering
why we need the neighbouring proxy.

Peter