Re: [Anima-bootstrap] anima-bootstrap: Bootstrap proxy discovery options

peter van der Stok <stokcons@xs4all.nl> Tue, 08 December 2015 11:46 UTC

Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2015 12:46:12 +0100
From: peter van der Stok <stokcons@xs4all.nl>
To: Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>
Cc: Toerless Eckert <eckert@cisco.com>, anima-bootstrap@ietf.org, consultancy@vanderstok.org
Subject: Re: [Anima-bootstrap] anima-bootstrap: Bootstrap proxy discovery options

>>> 2. If 1. failed:  OPTIONAL Discovery of bootstrap proxy via L3
>>>
>> Many installations will have their own brand of service discovery
>> (SD).
>> Inter-operability of SD is the first objective; we can safely assume
>> that if a given brand of SD is used,
>> the whole installation uses this brand as specified by a SDO that is
>> active in this particular market.
>>
>> I think it is sufficient to state that the proxy service needs to be
>> discovered
>> and how this can be done with DNS-SD (mDNS) or DHCP, the IETF
>> standards.
>
> Just remember that in a truly autonomic network built with
> factory-reset
> devices, we cannot assume that anything at all has been configured or
> named.
>
>     Brian
Yes, but there is a minimum set of services on which you rely: e.g. UDP,
DNS, ..
The discovery alternatives cited by toerless impress me as a list of
services of which at least one must be present.

Therefore my consideration that for something as basic as Service
discovery, some industries may regret that they need for example mDNS
next to their favoured discovery service e.g. Resource Directory.
Faced with this choice they may decide that mDNS is not wanted but
replaced by RD; and the Anima code in their products is adapted for that
choice; while maintaining interoperability with ANIMA routers in all
other respects.

Peter