Re: [Anima-bootstrap] joiner router stateful/stateless considerations

peter van der Stok <stokcons@xs4all.nl> Tue, 19 January 2016 11:13 UTC

Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 12:13:22 +0100
From: peter van der Stok <stokcons@xs4all.nl>
To: Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>
Cc: anima-bootstrap <anima-bootstrap@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Anima-bootstrap] joiner router stateful/stateless considerations

Hi Richard,

Thanks for the joinrouter document. It has certainly contributed to my
understanding.

To clarify how far we are aligned, I like to describe my view on the
managed (and “constrained”) network. After that I do have a suggestion
and a question. I will use the term managed network throughout,
principally mapped from the building control network that I know best.

A managed network has at least two interested parties for its
management: (1) the network administrator as described in
anima-reference-model, and (2) the provider of the managed network
functions. These two co-exist to-day, but with the progressive movement
from special purpose “proprietary” network standards (like BACnet)
connected via gateways to Internet towards flat full IP networks, their
relation changes. Both have a responsibility for the correct functioning
of these networks, where managed network functions may (should) rely on
the IP infra-structure managed by the administrator.

Contrary to the view expressed in anima-reference-model, the devices
which constitute a managed network share a standardized IP stack. This
stack standardizes the routing protocol, the discovery protocol, use of
DNS. Also contrary to the view of anima-reference-model, the
installation of the services running on the managed network may be
facilitated by a human installer which specifies the names of services
and devices, and establishes the secure relation between clients and
servers.

In my opinion, it is beneficial when there is a common automated
bootstrapping standard that is acceptable to the network administrator
and the provider of the managed network. The advantage for the provider
of the managed network is that there is a shared understanding of a
correctly functioning network on top of which the managed network
services can be installed. The advantage for the administrator is that
he exerts some minimal control over the network.

Once this view is accepted, there are some complicating aspects for the
anima bootstrapping process. There is the “managed network” part with
the standardized stack without ASAs - possibly using DTLS with CoAP-,
and there is the more complex Internet with ASAs - probably using http
with TLS-. If it is reasonable to include the “managed network” devices
into the anima bootstrapping process, I suggest that the anima
bootstrapping services both types of networks. That may mean that 2
solutions from the ones proposed in joinrouter document are chosen.

Having written that, my question concerns figure 1 of keyinfra draft.
Two arrows are shown between new entity and Proxy with L2 and L3. I
understand that this means that payloads are encoded at L2 or at L3. I
am not sure that I understand how this works, because L2 security
provisioning between for example 802.11 and 802.15.4 devices is
different. Maintaining both the L2 and L3 option means that the security
levels need to be aligned between the different link technologies and
layer 3 technologies. That looks like an addition to the IP over foo
documents. Is that correct?

Hope this helps,

Peter