Re: [Anima-signaling] else clause in msg processing, or: where are the errors?

Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca> Thu, 13 October 2016 15:01 UTC

From: Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>
To: Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2016 11:01:15 -0400
Cc: anima-signaling@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Anima-signaling] else clause in msg processing, or: where are the errors?

Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com> wrote:
    >> Looking at my rather minimal GRASP ASA implementation I wondered what
    >> I should do with msg types I don't understand, or for that matter,
    >> with message types that are not yet defined.
    >>
    >> I don't see any clear statements in grasp-07 about error replies.
    >> Maybe I missed it.
    >>
    >> What does one do with an invalid msgtype?  Options are: 1) ignore
    >> (drop msg) 2) die: drop TCP connection 3) reply with ???-M_INVALID or
    >> something.

    > I'm not completely sure about this. Sending back an M_INVALID might
    > risk a loop condition. Silent ignore (or local diagnostic and ignore)
    > avoids that. I think that's what I coded. Certainly if we abort an
    > operation, I think we'll always drop the TCP session though.

Clearly, M_INVALID has to be a MTI, and defined to say "ignore"
If we drop the TCP session without notice, then it's hard for us to introduce
new message types, as we can't probe to see if they are supported.

I notice that we have no protocol versions in GRASP: I'm not sure we need
them though, as for the ASA side of things, we ought to discover an ASA that
speaks the appropriate version.

    > Note that in a negotiotion session, we can in fact send M_END with
    > option O_DECLINE and an error string at any time.

Yes, I realized that we could do this for M_REQ_NEG.

    > You are completely correct that this should be specified.

    >> I would rather (3), including the errant session-id.

Do you have a preference?

 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-