Re: [Anima] I-D Action: draft-richardson-anima-voucher-delegation-00.txt

Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca> Tue, 21 January 2020 14:49 UTC

From: Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>
To: Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com>
cc: Anima WG <anima@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2020 09:49:43 -0500
Subject: Re: [Anima] I-D Action: draft-richardson-anima-voucher-delegation-00.txt

Brian E Carpenter <brian.e.carpenter@gmail.com> wrote:
    > Again I'm outside my comfort zone, but the Abstract says:

    >> This chain of authorization can support
    >> permission-less resale of devices, as well as guarding against
    >> business failure of the BRSKI [I-D.ietf-anima-bootstrapping-keyinfra]
    >> Manufacturer Authorized Signing Authority (MASA).

    > I'd really appreciate a worked example for both of these cases.
    > Maybe that will come in the Applicability sections?

Sure that's a reasonable request.

    > In particular section 5.1 says:

    >> The Registrar needs to be informed that it should not contact a MASA
    >> using the URL in the IDevID, but rather to contact the previous
    >> owner's DASA.

    > What happens if the previous owner went bust and its DASA no longer exists?

At first look, that is equivalent to the MASA going bust: you can no longer
autonomically onboard the device.  It would have to be done manually.
But, actually one can go back to any previous DASA, or back to the MASA, to
ask for a new voucher.  So it's equivalent only if all of the previous
owners/manufacturers are bust.
This ability is a potential security threat, and deserves some discussion.
Should there be a way that we can revoke a previous delegation voucher?
Does it require cooperation of the manufacturer?

I think it is reasonable for companies that buy assets of dead companies to
be able to go to the manufacturer for a DASA that would allow them to resell
the equipement.  I've tried to engage with a company I know of that does this
to try to understand how things flow today.

 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-