Subject: [Anima] Re: ANIMA@IETF124 - call for agenda items
From: Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>
To: "Maojianwei \(Mao\)" <maojianwei=[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2025 17:21:56 -0400
List-Id: Autonomic Networking Integrated Model and Approach <anima.ietf.org>

Maojianwei \(Mao\) <maojianwei=[email-masked]> wrote:
    > Sorry for this late request. The scenario of this document is highly
    > related to ANIMA work scope, so we would like to request a time slot to
    > introduce this doc at the meeting. Thanks :)

I'm not really sure how this builds upon the autonomic work that ANIMA has
done.   The document mentions LLMs, which is a technical term, but also "AI
Agent", which is a marketing term, devoid of technical content.  So, my first
request would be to please stick to technically definable terms.

What I have seen of LLMs in network configuration is that they just slop out
configuration settings, and operators hope they haven't been trained on
insecure configurations.

This document seems to deal with the need for worker agents that collect
information to collaborate and communicate, and if this were to be re-vision
as Autonomic Service Agents, then I would see the connection.  Is that your
goal?

It would be great for understanding if this document could give us some
examples.  And/or your slides could do that.  I suggest telling us a storey.
Like, "Bob is getting reports from a worker-agent that collects telemetry on
failed SSH logins to core routers.  Bob asks why there any password logins
enabled at all.  The Agent explains that there are still 9 (of 104)
administrators who have not registered SSH public keys. Bob asks if those
people login from the same IP address all the time, and the agent generates a
new report. Bob then asks that all systems allow password logins on from
those IP addresses"

    > Title: Communication Considerations for AI Agents in Network Devices
    > Presenter: Jianwei Mao (Remote)
    > Length of time: 15 minutes
    > if applicable: draft-mzsg-rtgwg-agent-cross-device-comm-framework
    > Remote.

--
Michael Richardson <[email-masked]>   . o O ( IPv6 IøT consulting )
           Sandelman Software Works Inc, Ottawa and Worldwide