Re: [Anima] chain of redirections for Cloud Registrar

Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca> Sun, 13 June 2021 02:32 UTC

From: Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca>
To: anima@ietf.org, max pritikin <pritikin@cisco.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2021 22:32:20 -0400
Subject: Re: [Anima] chain of redirections for Cloud Registrar

Michael Richardson <mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca> wrote:
    > We support two methods of redirect: 307 redirect and voucher based redirect.
    > The first method allows a Pledge to find a BRSKI capable Registrar at which
    > it starts the normal voucher-request/voucher process.
    > The second method allows the Cloud Registrar to process a voucher request
    > and then redirect the Pledge to an EST-only capable Registration Authority.

    > The questions are two:

    > 1) do we allow multiple layers of 307 redirect?  This can be pretty powerful
    > as it allows a manufacturer to just know which regional distributor they
    > resold to, and the distributor knows which VAR, etc.

    > If so, I guess we need to establish some limit to how many redirects we allow.
    > BRSKI says some things at section 5.6 about limiting redirects to one.
    > My opinion is that this restriction should not apply.

There is a second problem which I just thought about.
Let me past in the sequence diagram:

    |                                                 |
    | 1. Mutual-authenticated TLS                     |
    |<----------------------------------------------->|
    |                                                 |
    | 2. Voucher Request                              |
    |------------------------------------------------>|
    |                                                 |
    | 3. 307 Location: owner-ra.example.com           |
    |<------------------------------------------------|

    | 4. Provisional TLS   |                          |
    |<-------------------->|                          |

The first TLS connection (1) is to a burnt-in destination.
RFC6125 DNS-ID validatio may be done against an Implicit TA database must be
used to validate the server certificate.

After step 3, the Pledge does not know if it should start a Provisional TLS
connection to the intended Registrar (which would not be verified by Implicit
TA), or if it should attempt to validate owner-ra.example.com against it's
Implicit TA.

One possibility is that in the Cloud Registrar case, if the Pledge *can*
validate the given name against the Implicit TA database that it has, then it
should.   If it does manage to do that, then it can accept another 307
Redirect.  If it can't validate, then it can't accept another 307.

Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF@sandelman.ca>   . o O ( IPv6 IøT consulting )